Mark V heavy tone? Just trying I guess...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0rpheus

Reaction score
Hello,
I just became a member here :D . Very informative forum!
Here is an attempt to record a "heavy" distorted tone with my Mark V. :| I need help/feedback!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQq94v5J39w

That doesn't sound terrible. There are so many factors involved in getting a good guitar sound recording, if you're just starting out, that was pretty good. If you want a more open, less compressed sound with greater transients, use as little gain as possible and more volume to get the speaker moving, then it's microphone placement. Never compress a guitar between mic and tape, an electric guitar is compressed enough to start with. I like being near my amp so that the sound from the amp's speaker is picked up by my guitar and that makes the guitar sound sustain better. Microphone placement with any instrument is the biggest factor in getting "the sound" no matter what type of music you record. It's best to make short recordings and then listen back, a movement of one inch or turning the microphone a few degrees makes mucho difference. The type of mic is not important either when recording, live on stage it is very different because of the need to isolate the sound. The more you experiment, the more you'll understand the dynamics between the room, a speaker and microphone placement. It is very important to not listen with your eyes and to keep a journal of mics and placement, EQ settings, amp settings, type of guitar, etc. for future reference because once you nail it, you'll want to always repeat it or improve upon it. Practice, practice, practice, have you ever heard that before?

Back