Harsh tones from IV and IIc+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paw

Reaction score
Recently been trying to improve my recording technique with my Mark IIc+ and IV. They both sound awesome in the room, but as soon as I stick my head in front of the cabinet (v30 loaded Marshall AV) i hear some really harsh mid-frequency tones. Tried to record them using different mics and positions, but the frequencies were present no matter what. Seem to remember that I located annoying frequencies around 1200Hz and 5000Hz, but don't remember which amp that was.

How do you record your Mark-series amp(s), and how do you set your parameters?

-paw

I recently acquired a Mark IV and I'm still working on dialing in tones! :lol: I can imagine getting a harsh midrange sound if the Graphic EQ isn't set in the optimal way. Its amazing how powerful those 5 EQ bands are over your tone!
Honestly, I don't "use my ears" when I first work with a Mesa. I go online and find John Petrucci's settings and copying them exactly. I usually play with these tones for a week or so and then start to "use my ears" and begin to branch out. Here are some of his settings I've used, I just haven't put a microphone in front of the amp yet.
TopMK4Settings.jpg

BottomMK4Settings.jpg

When I do mic my amp I use a Shure KSM141 Stereo Pair (SDC). So I actually record the amp in stereo which isn't all that common. But if you know your stereo patterns you can get some great sounds and it eliminates the need to quad track. :wink: I would try these setting and see if any of them yield good results. Then you can start tweaking to your hearts content!

Back