Vocal mic options for my makeshift studio

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iluvledzepp

Reaction score
Hey everyone, before i explain my question and options I want to clarify that I'm a complete nube and almost know nothing about recording/ studio equipment. So with that said I'm looking at vocal mics for my home studio and would like some advice on which you think are best? I saw a list of budget mics and these are the ones I picked out:

-Behringer C1- $50
-M-Audio Nova- $100 (used)
-Audio Technica AT2020- $100
-Shure Beta 58- $160
-mxl 2003a- $180
-Shure KSM27- $200-250(used)
-Rode NT3- $270

As for "matching the mic with the voice" i've had some people compare my voice to dave grohl's (which for me is a HUGE compliment cuz i love foo fighters and am still in denial but that's not the point) but to describe my voice it's cleanish with some rasp if i want and when i push it (can be kinda "shrill" sometimes but it's growing along with me). I want something that's gonna last a while, sound good(duh)and is close to professional quality(I'm not talking hearing my hair grow, just good) most I'm 17 so if you have any other suggestions keep the price under 300(preferably 200 but I can stretch) Sorry for the kinda long post, and thanks for the help!!!

I'm no guru but I use Shure Beta 58 for live. Don't record much but it's a solid mic.

thanks for the reply knotts, anyone else? guess i came to the wrong place for recording advice :?

What preamp are you using? If you have a **** preamp even the best mic will sound like ****. I have a Studio Projects B3 and run it thru a Universal Audio solo 610 Pre. I have a gritty 'grohl-esque' rock voice as well and like the results.

If you could spend more money, I would be on the hunt for a used Neumann TLM 103. Brand new they are about $1,100, so maybe you could find one for a little less. Trust me, you don't want to skimp on a vocal mic for any recording you actually care about! :D This particular mic also sounds amazing on an acoustic guitar. Without going into deep technical details, the 103 is a watered down version of the magical U87...arguably THE standard vocal mic found in any studio worth half it's weight in salt!

We have both in the studio and I actually preferred the 103 on the acoustic guitars.

The other thing you must consider is the mic preamp..which is a whole different discussion, but it all starts with the source, and the source is the vocal mic.

Back