Major problem with Fast Track Pro and noise

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zilla

Reaction score
I haven't been recording for about 2-3 weeks.

Tonight i sat down and was going to do a before/after pickup swap video.

I'm using an sm57 into the m-audio fast track pro. i had kickass results before.

when i play back the recording in reaper, it's like something is clicking on and off... like for 2-3 seconds the signal is good, then it's like the gain jumps and everything is clipping like the input of the m-audio was being slammed by too much gain.

When i use the headphone monitoring i can't hear this.

I tried swapping inputs - same

i tried taking the mic out and the problem seemed to go away in in the recording, which makes me think it's the mic, but why can't i head this in the headphone monitoring?

this isn't subtle either.. it's MAJOR clipping.

I'll see if i can upload a sample somewhere.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Tim

gonzo

I checked it and you were right.

ASIO was set to record @ 96 KHz and the playback was at 44.1 KHz.

I set both to 44.1KHz and everything seems ok except now when I mix the audio into the video.

I record the video in a small video capture proggy (Debut) and record the audio in Reaper simultaneously.

I then sync the reaper audio stream with the recorded video.

Everything is in sync at the beginning of the video, but within 30 seconds it's desynced (video is ahead of the audio).

help?

I am at my wits end and am hoping someone here can help me.

Since I dumped my USB condenser mic and moved to an M-Audio Fast Track Pro and an SM-57 I've had nothing but problems:

Problem 1: some kind of crazy comb filtering issue
Problem 2: audio desyncing from video
Problem 3: recorded audio desyncing from overdubbed mp3

see this for an example of what i'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6-cT3DN2T4

I'm using an ASIO driver (the m-audio one). I'm recording the video in Debut from my webcam (640x360) with the webcam mic and the main audio in Reaper at 48kHz, 24 bit. webcam audio is at 48kHz CBR. video is supposed to be recording at 30 fps. I'm only using 1 mic for recording.

I've tried importing the video into Reaper and syncing the audio as well as extracting the audio from the original video, syncing the new audio to the old stream, and then re-inserting it into the video. in this video i'm already out of sync by the 30 second mark

I'm at my wits end here. can anyone help me out? please?

Back