Amp noise when facing amp?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taserphaser

Reaction score
Is this normal? whenever record I LIKE to be close to my amp, next to the mics. Makes me feel much more connected to my tone. I just noticed that when I face my amp, it hums/buzzes. Its not feedback. When I step away or turn sideways it hums/buzzes way less. SO I brought my other guitars to try out if they all did it. And indeed, all of them hum/buzz when near the amp. So, my question is, is this normal? I even got a cool effect for a song ending out of it!

taserphaser said:
Is this normal? whenever record I LIKE to be close to my amp, next to the mics. Makes me feel much more connected to my tone. I just noticed that when I face my amp, it hums/buzzes. Its not feedback. When I step away or turn sideways it hums/buzzes way less. SO I brought my other guitars to try out if they all did it. And indeed, all of them hum/buzz when near the amp. So, my question is, is this normal? I even got a cool effect for a song ending out of it!

Electromagnetism in action dude. A plucked guitar string on an electric guitar has no volume; so you have a pickup on the guitar to bring it up the strings level. Point that pickup at a high powered amp that contains a transformer and high gain circuits and you get that sound you describe. Its normal.

Back