How to record my Mark V with my M Audio Delta 192 PCI card

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adambomb

Reaction score
Ok I got my Mark V finally all set right for sound and want to record it using Acid Pro and my M Audio Delta 192 soundcard. I still don't know much about how to record guitar straight in the soundcard cause I used to use my POD to do so. But now I wanna record the Mark V. I got a SM57 but was wondering how to record the amp straight in the soundcard, or how to record the SM57 micing the 4x12 to the sound card.
Any help would be great. Thanks

you need a mic preamp.

run the 57, into the mic preamp... output of preamp into the analog inputs of the 192 card (i use this card)

the card will do the analog-to-digital conversion, and you'll set the input to your DAW by using the control panel of the MAudio software.

try to set your peaks no higher than -6db.

that's just the basics.

to go more advanced, you can add outboard compression, and outboard limiting, and outboard EQ, all after the mic preamp.

you can spend as little as a 100 bucks on the mic preamp, and as much as about 5 thousand.

you typically have to spend about 500-750 bucks to get better sound than you can get out of the 145-500 dollar group.

Ok yea I know I need a mic pre if Im gonna mic the cab. Was gonna get this $170 M-Audio one, looks pretty good. I was wondering about the slave out too. Somebody toly me thats a line level signal and you can run straight into the soundcard from slave out. Is that true?

yes, but it sounds like caca.

go ahead and try it, but if you like it, you'll be one of the 1st in the history of mankind!
LOL

i use a Palmer PDI-09 to capture directly off the speaker out, thru a filtered circuit, down to line level that can go directly into anything that accepts line level, including a sound card input.

but way better to put that kind of signal thru some processing first...
a nice tube mic pre, maybe a killer EQ, and some 1st rate compression!

but your signal is only going to be as good as the weakest link, so pay careful attention to the quality of your mic preamp AND your mic.

gonzo said:
yes, but it sounds like caca.

go ahead and try it, but if you like it, you'll be one of the 1st in the history of mankind!
LOL

i use a Palmer PDI-09 to capture directly off the speaker out, thru a filtered circuit, down to line level that can go directly into anything that accepts line level, including a sound card input.

but way better to put that kind of signal thru some processing first...
a nice tube mic pre, maybe a killer EQ, and some 1st rate compression!

but your signal is only going to be as good as the weakest link, so pay careful attention to the quality of your mic preamp AND your mic.

Naw man, search the forums... theres lots of people that like the sound of the V recorded from slave straight. BUT there are way better ways of course. Just doing research on every single way to record the V.

http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/6679/Pro_Audio_Recording/Mixers/Mackie/402-VLZ3_-_4_Channel_Compact_Mixer.htm

This. :mrgreen:

Great sounding little mixer and works great with the breakout connectors for the 192. It's a good card for the $$$s.

It takes a loooong time and a loooot of tweaking to get the slave out tone perfect. That said - it works, and the better gear/plugins you have will directly relate to how good your sound ends up. My first few tries were awful, I was going too hard for a room sound instead of a mix sound and I was still having trouble with Izotope ozone finishing it up. Picking the right cab/mic emmulation is the real key.

I'm going all analog front end again - my tape machine has been sitting too long! Since you already have a good soundcard, maybe take a look at the Goldenage channel strip. It's a great copy of the Neve units at a fraction of the cost. I'm a big fan and plan on going that route myself on a couple of my channels.

To make it really easy, take the slave out with a Impulse loader.
Experiment with cabs and then, add a mic in the mix if you have a pre.

Why the hell would any want to go direct out and then use some amp sims? When you already have a great amp? Going direct is not the way to go! You need a mic in front of the speaker.. No amp sim will ever sound as good as that! EVER! Why? because there is no air being moved.. Even the pre on a crappy little mixer running into your m-audio card will sound good... The slave outs sound thin and fizzy, thats why everyone doctors them up with amp sims..

Latest posts

Back