how to get protools?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geetar_geek79

Reaction score
I only have ever used Mackie Tracktion 3 and to me it's really wonderful for small demos and intermediate projects. It's really intuitive, but I have been seeing myself lately work with other people who have protools and it's hard to work on each other's project.

Am I missing something here between exporting and importing on those two platforms? Or is it not possible at all? I did ggole btw about that topic to no avail.

If it's not possible, how can I get Protools LE (not 9 or MP), without having to buy any interface or the 11R? Legally, too, I may add...

thanks!

geetar_geek79 said:
If it's not possible, how can I get Protools LE (not 9 or MP), without having to buy any interface or the 11R? Legally, too, I may add...

PT9 will not work without the interface. Sorry.

Its pretty easy to work with files from any DAW... the trick is to consolidate your files... that means making all of your tracks start at 0 and 0'd out on your faders and panning ... then you can just drag and drop your wavs in to any daw and work with them from there... granted the sessions will not carry over, but raw wavs will.. and for the record... PT 9 is native now.. which means it will work with any interface you want or ASIO sound card... . No longer do you need a digidesign or m-audio interface...

burnstudios said:
No longer do you need a digidesign or m-audio interface...

yeah i kind of knew that. i was surprised at what fluff191 said. PT9 LE, Full, or SE will work with any interface. It's the MP the won't (MP = M-Powered, requires m-audio interface). Unless I got it wrong, too.

I read somewhere from the PT9 feature set (here, mid page) something about "OMF/AAF/MXF interchange support." anybody familiar with that?

thanks again.

geetar_geek79 said:
I read somewhere from the PT9 feature set (here, mid page) something about "OMF/AAF/MXF interchange support." anybody familiar with that?

thanks again.
I use these every day.

OMF= Open Media format
AAF=Advanced Authoring Format
MXF=Materials Exchange Format

These are all file formats that allow you to exchange between workstations and houses and allow you to encapsulate both the media (.wavs, etc.) in the location pointers into one file for each portability.

OMF is one of the most universal audio transfer formats. It is also one of the older ones and lacks certain features such as ability to encapsulate stereo clips - it breaks them into dual mono clips.

AAF is a newer audio format with more features but it there are fewer platforms that support it.

MXF is a combined video/audio format that encapsulates Quicktime video with the associated audio.

I work in audio and do quite a bit of audio post production for video. Here is my work flow: My editors will typically send me an OMF containing all their edited audio and an MXF containing their edited video called an Edit Master. I can pull those two into Steinberg Nuendo and everything is in synch and ready to begin my session. I will clean up their audio then add and edit sound effects and music and mix the lot into whatever format is required (Stereo, 5.1 surround) then open their MFX in either Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere and marry my mix back to the video and create an Air Master.

Nuendo allows me to re-marry de-encapsulated stereo, 5.1 surround or whatever clips that were separated in the OMF for simplicity of handling.

I hope that helps!

Bob

mixin.jpg

^^^THANK YOU, sir!

I guess that answers my question. With what you described, I think it's exactly what I'm trying to do. I will have to see if my DAW supports OMF or AAF. thanks.

um, yeah. so i'm back from google and the answer is "no." tracktion 3 does not support omf or aaf. :x

all ya gota do is consolidate your files... they will work in any daw then. Except for whatever plugs and automation you had.

Latest posts

Back