Best spot on a recto cab when micing

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadifier

Reaction score
I am having trouble recording and getting the placement of the mic in a good spot. I use a sm57 and a audix I5. What is the best spot on a recto cab people have found recording with a Sm57 or audix I5? I can usually get an okay tone out of my amp recorded, but It is not how I want it to sound on my recordings.

zach

I point in dead center, about an inch away from the grill. I put the mic slightly off-axis to cut the fizz.

Try the SM57 on axis pointed right at the edge of the dust cap and right against the grill. I find this a good starting point. I also use a Sennheiser e906 with the bright switch on. The combination of the the bright response of the e906 and the darker of the SM57 make a very huge sound IMO I then pan the two left. SM57 all the way left and the e906 about 30-40% to the left. Then record again with different amp channel, guitar etc. This time panning SM57 all the way right and the e906 30-40%. This works for me when recording rhythm. I am certainly no pro, but this works for me. Its all about trial and error (as well as research). Cheers!

I place my 57 off axis, but pointing to the center. try working with different angles combined with placement.

recently, I started micing one speaker with a AKG D112 kick drum mic, and another with an 57, then mixing them to my liking. sounds HUGE!

Latest posts

Back