Guitar recording: FX-loop send vs. line-out?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocSauerkraut

Reaction score
Hi!

I recently heard that it might be possible to record a guitar by connecting the FX-loop send of an amp to PC interface.
This would give a nice preamp signal, which alone doesn't sound good at all but can sound great in combination with a cabinet simulation (e.g. impulse responses).

I have a nice Mesa triple recti that also has a line-out, which i could use too. But this new approach would allow me to record at home without bothering any noise.

Ah! And of course i'd leave the amp connected to a cabinet all the time!

Does anybody have experience with this procedure? Or does anybody know if there are sound differences between the line-out and the FX-loop send?

Comments are highly appreciated!

Cheers!

I've used both of these methods. They pale in comparison to using the real cab, however as you said, you don't have to bug anyone then. By using the line out, you might still get a signal from the speakers. Don't know how it works on Rectos. Using the FX loop method, you can record in complete silence, being that the signal never makes it to the power section. Basically,

Recording from FX Loop=Only Preamp signal, amp reverb won't be included

Recording from Line Out= Everything, will more than likely still get sound from speakers unless using attenuator/dummyload. Also the only direct in recording method to get power tube saturation.

That's about all there is to it. I don't do serious recordings with direct in stuff. Always sounds kinda like butt. There's a dude on here that swears by direct in recordings using some specific little piece of gear. Think it's Gonzo. He posts stuff in the Recordings section quite frequently. Sounds good when he does it.

Thanks for your answer!

Do i understand this correct, you get tube saturation effects? I always thought that the line-out leaves right after the preamp :eek:

Most line out signals are after the power amp I believe. Although I'm not sure I've ever seen a line out on a tube amp. Most times I see line out it's on an SS amp.

A slave out comes right off the OT, so yes, you will get power tube saturation depending on how much you have your amp turned up.

Tuner out comes from very early in the amp signal stage. Might as well not even bother with that.

And of course the FX Send is coming right from the preamp. No power tube saturation there.

I use a line out from an attenuator sometimes. You can get power tube saturation there of course.

As previously mentioned, if you do end up using the slave out, you will get volume from the speakers. The only way to record line out in silence with tube amps is to go directly from the FX loop, or do the dummy load thing.

Back