copywriting your music

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thinskin57

Reaction score
i just did a copyright on one of my songs through legalzoom.com and it was quite pricey- $150 for one song. i had to do it fast so i bit the bullet and went with them. wondering if anyone here has any recommendations on less pricey options. i do prefer doing it all online. i'm sure one can purchase the paper forms for next to nothing, and then do the whole "put it in the mail and wait" thing, but there's got to be somebody out there doing it for less money, and online? anyone?

thinskin57 said:
i just did a copyright on one of my songs through legalzoom.com and it was quite pricey- $150 for one song. i had to do it fast so i bit the bullet and went with them. wondering if anyone here has any recommendations on less pricey options. i do prefer doing it all online. i'm sure one can purchase the paper forms for next to nothing, and then do the whole "put it in the mail and wait" thing, but there's got to be somebody out there doing it for less money, and online? anyone?
The poor man's copyright is to make a copy of whatever you made, put it in a sealed envelope, and mail it to yourself. Just never open and you have proof that you did it first. I know people do this with written materials, I'm sure a CD or a tape or something is just as valid.

wow, that's steep..

you can copyright your music online directly with the U.S. Copyright office for $35. you just fill out the forms, upload your music, and pay uncle sam via plastic money (credit card). i did it with my last band, a little bit of navigating but pretty painless.

http://www.copyright.gov/eco/

Advantages include:
Lower filing fee of $35 for a basic claim (for online filings only)
Fastest processing time
Online status tracking
Secure payment by credit or debit card, electronic check, or Copyright Office deposit account
The ability to upload certain categories of deposits directly into eCO as electronic files
Available 24 hours a day, except for routine maintenance every Sunday from 12:00 midnight to 6:00 AM Eastern Time

Average Processing Time for e-Filing: 3 months
Average Processing Time for Form CO and Paper Forms: 10 months

Acceptable file types:

Audio
.aif, .aiff (Audio Interchange File Format)
.au (Audio File)
.mid, .midi, .rmi (Musical Instrument Digital Interface)
.mp3 (MP3 Audio File or Layer 3 Audio Compression)
.ra, .ram (Real Audio File)***
.rmi (Resource Interchangable File Format)
.wav (Windows Wave Sound File)
.wma (Windows Media Audio File)

Text .doc (Microsoft Word Document)*
.docx (Microsoft Word Open XML Document)*
.htm, .html (HyperText Markup Language)
.pdf (Portable Document Format)
.rtf (Rich Text Document)
.txt (Text File)
.wpd (WordPerfect Document)
.wps (Microsoft Works Word Processor Document)**

eltrain858 said:
wow, that's steep..

you can copyright your music online directly with the U.S. Copyright office for $35. you just fill out the forms, upload your music, and pay uncle sam via plastic money (credit card). i did it with my last band, a little bit of navigating but pretty painless.

http://www.copyright.gov/eco/

Advantages include:
Lower filing fee of $35 for a basic claim (for online filings only)
Fastest processing time
Online status tracking
Secure payment by credit or debit card, electronic check, or Copyright Office deposit account
The ability to upload certain categories of deposits directly into eCO as electronic files
Available 24 hours a day, except for routine maintenance every Sunday from 12:00 midnight to 6:00 AM Eastern Time

Average Processing Time for e-Filing: 3 months
Average Processing Time for Form CO and Paper Forms: 10 months

Acceptable file types:

Audio
.aif, .aiff (Audio Interchange File Format)
.au (Audio File)
.mid, .midi, .rmi (Musical Instrument Digital Interface)
.mp3 (MP3 Audio File or Layer 3 Audio Compression)
.ra, .ram (Real Audio File)***
.rmi (Resource Interchangable File Format)
.wav (Windows Wave Sound File)
.wma (Windows Media Audio File)

Text .doc (Microsoft Word Document)*
.docx (Microsoft Word Open XML Document)*
.htm, .html (HyperText Markup Language)
.pdf (Portable Document Format)
.rtf (Rich Text Document)
.txt (Text File)
.wpd (WordPerfect Document)
.wps (Microsoft Works Word Processor Document)**

thanks for the info. good timing as i just finished another song.

Also check out

http://myows.com/

"As soon as you upload an Original work on Myows, a copy of that work is time- and date-stamped and saved on our secure servers.

Uploading your work on Myows provides you with valuable evidence as well as an effective deterence measure designed to prevent theft.

Generate reliable evidence while you work

Instantly generate authentification certificates

Attach supporting documents and contracts

Tag your work for easy search and reference

100% SSL secure (and your files will remain private).
"

I like the e-file with the government.

Here is a question.

What about content.

So lets say I am cheap and I blend five songs into one.

Is that considered one song, or are there limitations on time or data?

Only a lawyer could give an official answer, but my understanding is that that would give you some degree of protection. I think you can copyright a compilation/album (naming separate songs) using the online system as long as the authorship is the same for all the songs. For data/time limits you'd have to check the site.

To be quick and specific, there are 2 forms. Pa (performing arts) and sr (sound recording).

Pa is the actual song. Lyrics, melody, and such. This must be submitted on a per song basis. Typically include lyric sheet, recording, and sheet music if available, but helps to have some form of sheet music.

The sr is the actual recording and can be the entire album or more in this submittal. This protects against sampling, playing or using w/o permission and such. Typically just the FINISHED recording. Don't submit a rough copy or something. That would defeat the purpose as the the actual recording submitted is what's covered.

They are distinctly different and both necessary.

It is terribly simple to just download the forms from the us.gov website, fill out and turn in. Though the pa form per song can get pricey. They are both necessary though for complete coverage.

guitardom said:
To be quick and specific, there are 2 forms. Pa (performing arts) and sr (sound recording).

Pa is the actual song. Lyrics, melody, and such. This must be submitted on a per song basis. Typically include lyric sheet, recording, and sheet music if available, but helps to have some form of sheet music.

The sr is the actual recording and can be the entire album or more in this submittal. This protects against sampling, playing or using w/o permission and such. Typically just the FINISHED recording. Don't submit a rough copy or something. That would defeat the purpose as the the actual recording submitted is what's covered.

They are distinctly different and both necessary.

It is terribly simple to just download the forms from the us.gov website, fill out and turn in. Though the pa form per song can get pricey. They are both necessary though for complete coverage.
I agree.Good advice.The poor mans way of doing it will get hammered.If that's the route you decide to go,at least have the written work time and date notarized.Assuming you have something stolen,and you find yourself up against a Label and their attorneys,good luck.It's like going after an F-16 with a slingshot.

Back