Post removed.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SM7 needs a lot more gain than most, but it sounds fulla nd even once you place it in teh sweet spot.

Just as easy to get a full signal from the E906, best cab mic I think I've used so far.....

I've fought a lot with the few mics that I have: SM57, e609, and even my cheap MXL 990 (which I've been VERY happy with for vocal recording). If I could get a very well isolated room for the cab, I would use the 990... it really captures the sound of the cab, but it captures all of the wall reverberation and rattles from anything not bolted down so it's pretty useless to me right now. The e609 has been useless as well... I've heard it work well with some amps but I can't get anything but a highly scooped sound with very shrill high-end no matter where I place it on the speaker. The SM57 is what I've been relying on, but it sounds so 2-dimensional and doesn't capture any of the richness from the amp.

So I'm also looking to upgrade to either a MD421, SM7, or even try the e906 or i5.... but I also need a really nice preamp as well =P

ElectroVoice RE-20 :lol:

Kidding, but their ND series are decent mics for a very decent price.

If I had only one mic to make an entire CD, then it's the SM57. Can work surprisingly well on lead vocals even.

If you can't get a good tone with an sm57 you are doing it wrong, plain and simple. And yes they do work very well on vocals..
www.burnstudios.com 1st and 3rd songs both guitars and vocals were done with an sm57

i've moved from mics, to using a palmer PDI-09.

works great.

i blend room mics and close miced in with this signal, it gives me the most in your face signal i've ever gotten.

I'm thinking its the SM58 that's designed with a mid bump in it - not so much the 57.

Then of course all dynamic mics "suffer" from proximity effect giving an artificial low boost.

Live I've always had best result with very close mic sm57. Due to noise enviroment and all.

Recording I don't mic so close to lessen proximity effect and the cab sounds more balanced to me.
Always got great results using a 57 for recording.

For HUGE sound sometimes I'll close mike with one 57 and room mic it with another 57.

I agree that the condensers seem to pick up every flaw in the room.

of course YM will V.

that the great thing about the junction, it's nothing but pure tone from the amp, zero room sound.

which can sound dry and sterile (sometimes that's exactly what i want, lazer-straight sound) but then allows wonderful treatments on mixdown, that signal is so easy to EQ and Pan, and placing effects is super clean.

In the budget range, I don't think there is a single mic that does what I want. I do, however, live and die by my combination of an SM57 and Audix i5. 57 has the mids and the i5 has the bottom end. Great combo. Check the YouTube link in my sig if you are curious.

my current go-to one mic for all purposes, is a shure KSM 44.

perfect.

Back