recording 3 tracks (left ,right ,center)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunil999

Reaction score
hi guys need some tips on layering guitar...

so far ive recorded 2 rhythm tracks 1 left and 1 right...using the mesa triple recto ..i plan to do a 3rd one in the center using a mark iv,,,
any of you guys recorded this way?
is it ok to layer this way for rhythm tracks?(left,right and center?)

heres my signal chain

left =mesa triple rec= prs custom 24 with sheptone paf pickups
right=mesa triple rec=prs custom 24 with 57/08 pickups
and on the third track which will be in the center i plan on using a mark iv...
thanks in advance!

Nothing wrong with that, should turn out just fine. The only thing I will say for triple-tracking guitar, is make sure you are TIGHT! The triple-tracking effect really gets lost if you are making small slip ups or are inconsistent in your playing across all three tracks. Obviously I don't know how long you've been playing or anything, but whenever I record, I like to have been practicing the song every day for a few weeks leading up to the recording, so it's effortless and consistent.

I would also reccomend turning the gain down further than you would like, it will help with clarity and picking patterns

Steve@Russo said:
I would also reccomend turning the gain down further than you would like, it will help with clarity and picking patterns

Good call. A good guitar sound for tape is different than a good guitar sound for live.

ok ill try triple tracking then..thanks guys..ill try to be as tight as i can :)

+1 with what gonzo said. You are probably going to be putting your vocals in the center so you don't want to mask them. You could always set a volume automation where the center guitar track dips down just a little when the vocals start and when there is not singing it comes back up. Like someone else said, turn the gain down a little than you normally would. Since you are doing 3 tracks of they will build up for a heavy sound. If you have too much gain then it will start to get fizzy.

Are you using the same mic for each track too? It might be fun to try a different mic for each different track.

yup will do that dude....thanks for the advice really appreciate it :)

It's OK to record 3 guitar tracks that way. Not only OK, for fat rhythm tones I found it to be the best way of recording guitars. I usually keep the track in the centre a bit lower volume-wise. The two panned tracks add dimension and smoothen your tone, the one in the centre adds a bit of further fatness. As someone else said, you must be as tight as possible when recording.

Back