Interface

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaner30

Reaction score
Hello,

Im looking for a good interface for recording. I generally only need 1-2 inputs. I am running a PC and Sonar7. I typically record with an SM57/E609 with my markV. I am looking for minimal tone coloring...but probably prefer USB input.

Thanks
Shane

Check out the Art TubeMP Project Series pre-amp... a single 12AX7 tube powers the pre-amp, and it has tons of options. Gain/output knobs, gain boost, impedance switch, phantom power (if you ever decide to try a condenser microphone out), phase switch, filter, etc. They can only take 1 input at a time, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to grab two. I have two and I love em, I use them on exactly the same mics. If you buy one, make sure you set the impedance level to low for those two mics. Each one will take a TRS or XLR input, and you can output through TRS, XLR or USB. I've never used the USB option, but I would assume if you use it, your computer will just see the pre-amp as a separate sound card. BTW, they are about ~$100 last time I checked.

EDIT: If you wanna spend some more money and invest in the future, check out some units by Motu. They run off Firewire but they are solid little units.

depends what price range you are looking in, I have owned a commercial studio in the past and am in charge of all pro audio for my store. what price range??

Steve

I actually have a tascam right now with 2 inputs, phantom power. It gets the job done but I feel it could sound better. Seems to add a nasal type sound to my tone, regardless of mic placement. I would be willing to spend around $500 or so if it would improve the quality over my $150 tascam thing.

Thanks
Shane

the tascams aren't the highest quality in the world, if you stick to a brand that makes higher end interfaces the technology gets handed down, like Avid

Try to get the last model of Digidesign mbox mini's that come with Pro Tools 8. They are selling cheap brand new because Avid just change all of the hardware names.

Back