Isolating my roadster

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbsens03

Reaction score
I have limited options as to where I can jam and record here at my house. My set up is a shure sm57 in front of my roadster 2x12 combo and running it through logic. The problem is that mic picks up every other sound. I'm stuck doing all this in my garage and the water heater is right next to the amp. Any suggestions on how I might be able to box-in or isolate my amp or mic so that it's not picking up background noise? Should I maybe just put the amp in the bathroom or laundry room which are just inside the garage just to get rid of extra noise? Thanks!

Wish I could help you on this matter. I actually record my Roadster using my Rivera Silent Sister, so my problems aren't the same as yours.

Recording in untreated rooms and houses is a complete pain! This is why I highly vouch for the Rivera Silent Sister.

Good luck!

Try putting some heavy blankets over the amp and mic. Also remember to crank your amplifier.

Ya I did the blanket thing. That kinda worked. My buddy said I should try 'wrapping' the mic. Or using a mic other than a sm57. and cranking it of course.

Careful with the wrapping thing. It will affect the frecuency response of the mic. It will cut all the highs, mid highs and probably the mids of the guitar, and remember that the natural sound of it like clarity and attack live in that range.

My Demeter Iso cab.

demeterboogiecropoe4.jpg

isocabcloseupopen.jpg

I bought an iso cab when I still lived in an apartment, and I still find it handy to have in the house I have now. I run a Radial JDX active amp DI between my amp and the iso cab, then record both signals on different tracks. If I run the DI signal through my Lexicon reverb set to full wet, I can use that track for the "depth" control of the guitar without using any additional CPU power with plug-ins (I do a lot with MIDI and BFD2, so CPU power sometimes is an issue).

I threw together an ISO box that my 4x12 lives in. Basically, some auralex type foam, wood and carpeting. Works pretty darn well I can get good recorded tones and not destroy walls, furniture and pets in the process.

Latest posts

Back