Beta SM57A on Rectifier 2x12 with Mesa Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeadlessAxeman

Reaction score
I gave into the hype and decided to see what the SM57 A (beta) sounds like..what with its hyper-cardoid design, marketing pitch et al.

Initial impressions...so far ..so good. Sounds more fuller than a regular SM57..but do you really need it? (I don't know)

I'm a recording newbie and still trying to find the sweet spot on my cab..but looks like half way to the center cone (flat to the dust grill) gives me a well rounded definition that I've been looking for.

My $0.02 :)

As far as I know, the only differences between the 57 and the beta57 are the capsule and that all the beta series have better internal components. Try using a senheiser MD-421. Very nice and dark mic. Blend it with the 57 and there you get it. Not a cheap mic though.

Regarding the mic placement, try in the center of cone, halfway the center and the edge of the cone (as you did) and over the edge of cone. This 3 possibilities combined with distance between mic and cab, I prefer close-micing.

And very important when recording amplifiers!!! Get it loud!!

Get it loud eh ?...I think thats the trick I was missing ....gotta find some damping/sound isolation foam first...small home studio in an apartment with a mesa 2x12 ..so..gotta be careful..with the neighbours et al!

Also..the MD421 and an SM57 is probably the best sound i've heard when combined together...and since the 421 costs quite a bit...I'm going to use a 421 Mic + Cab Impulse Response on the DAW (on the DI signal) in addition to the SM57A mic.

Thanks for the tip!

No problem man! Anything you need just PM me. Good music and recording!

Latest posts

Back