Headphone suggestions for recording. . .

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbsens03

Reaction score
I'm using a m-audio fast track pro interface with both garage band and logic and I really need to find some headphones that won't bleed the sound out to the mic. Also (off topic) how can I raise the sound on the click on garage band? Looking for something that's affordable. Ideally closer to $50 but I'm open to things up to $100. Thanks!

I'd recommend the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones. They run about $100, though I'm sure you can find them a little cheaper somewhere. These are great for recording and they attenuate the environmental sounds pretty well, so you can hear clearly through the phones. When tracking guitars, I can hear the track through the headphones clearly without having to crank up the volume.

Late to the party, but +1 on the nod to the HD280 Pro. They're also "neutral" enough to pass muster for headphone mixing, if you need to mix that way.

not just to throw a kink in the chain, but if you're NOT using monitors to mix (almost no pros use headphones alone to mix to)...
then you need to get some much better headphones than 100 bucks will allow.

If you know the frecuency response of your headphones you can make decent mixes.

but of course...
you may want something better than decent mixes!
:mrgreen:

What monitors would you recommend? I'm new to recording so I'm still figuring out how to work logic and garageband fully and get the tones I want.

The HD280's are great for recording.

I would never use headphones alone for mixing. If you want a good mix, you will need good monitors and a good room to mix in. If there is a lot of bass build up in your room then your mixes will lack bass in other places because it sounded bassier in your room.

My one professor would say not to mess around at all with cheap monitors but I like my Alesis M1 Mk2 but like VigfZiel said, if you have lower end stuff the frequency response might not be as flat and could affect your mixes. If you understand this response you can compensate.

Ever seen the frequency response charts for cheap condenser mics compared to costly condenser mics? The cheap ones almost always have a bump in the high mid range where the costly ones are flat.

i use two different headphones, for recordings i use the audio technica ath-m40 which is loud and delivers a direct,full, rich, warm sound. for the mixing process i use a beyerdynamic DT880pro - awesome sounding headphone!

Back