recording direct with mark iv

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ibanez_shred

Reaction score
I going to be recording with my mark iv soon and need to know a few things if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. I wanted to know if you use a typical guitar cord from the direct recording out or do you use a balanced cord?

Hey there. I recommend using a balanced cable. The "rule" says to use a balance cord for more than 1m (I think), if it's less, an unbalanced cord will work fine. But don't get troubles, get a balanced one!

WHAT I USE.

pdi09-big.jpg

http://www.palmergear.com/pdi09.shtml

according to the schematic, that recording output is a two wire circuit, so not sure what the 3 wire cord can accomplish , at any distance.

I have questions regarding the slave DI out.
I am going to try the DI out ( derived from the speaker output ) mainly because I want the benefit of the presence circuits in the output ( cant get that on the recording out )

I planned to use a 100W 8ohm resistor on the speaker terminals.

The manual says that resistors will alter the tone badly. Can anyone validate that ? Or better yet, explain why they are making that claim ?
I dont really have an issue leaving the speaker hooked up ( in a sound proof closet) but I am very curious why a purely resistive load screws with the sound.
Actually -- they refered to a SOAK RESISTOR and that may be a specialized item with some reactance, dunno.
Comments welcome and appreciated

the di out sounds like crap.

plain and simple.

if you're going for ultra clean, it will work for that.

you should look at legitimate ATTENUATOR builds, if you're wanting to 'soak power'.

there are two typical versions, strictly resistors, and combinations of resistors with SPEAKER MOTORS (weber) which is what i prefer.

then, you need a special DI that has been eq'd to sound like a real cabinet (unless you're going for a reamp situation, which is an entirely different conversation.

did you even look at the link i provided?

no, they're not the same thing.

you need to read the specs on each device, to understand what they're doing.

Both convert either line level or speaker input into balanced output, both have a couple "voicing" options. Both are...DI boxes. :wink:

this is the only other one i've heard that i really liked..
JDX.jpg

but it's quite a bit more expensive.

i demo'd the behringer unit.

i actually own and use a palmer pdi-09.

i heard the radial unit in a studio environ, but didn't get to play with it.

Ever play this one. I have had my eye on it for a while but can't find one locally to try.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--HUKRBCLASSIC

i tried the original H&K red box almost 20 years ago....
so i don't know how this one compares..
i've heard good things about it, but i remember i didn't care for the red box way back when.
i'd love to try this one out now...

I'm mainly interested in using these for live sound to eleminate as many mic's on stage as possible. And since I'm going to be running this signal to a board of unknown quality and into PA speakers of unknown quality I'm not too picky. :lol:

well the junction is perfect for that.

every soundman i've worked with live, has always had caution going into using it instead of a mic, and afterwards, always says that's all they want to use now.
it's so easy to eq for the FOH with this thing....

here's a recent recording with it:

"The Travel Song"

http://soundcloud.com/bats-brew/travel-song-12-11-10

Back