MAC Recording

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejay

Reaction score
Can someone recommend a good interface/program to use for a MAC to record guitar tracks. The main use would be to demo new stuff

Logic is a great DAW and it works with just about any interface. It might be a bit more than you need but it's great if you decide you want to do more heavy duty recordings.

There's Logic Express, a "light" version of Logic. ProTools is also popular, but the hardware requirements might be steep, but the new protools is compatible with M audio interface. Whatever DAW you choose, try to record on an external drive, firewire if possible, this should free up resources on your computer to run the DAW. You could still try to record on the internal drive, but as the tracks and plug ins go up in number, might slow down your computer.

I recommend Logic, and I've tried ProTools and Samplitude.

For an interface, try to purchase something that will allow expansion, you'll never know when the time comes where you need to record more than just one track simultaneously, I think the M audio interfaces are a good economic choice. Chances are, you might not have to install drivers since you're using a mac.

MACs come with garageband for free. You can always just use that, alot of famous artist have used garageband to produce tracks.

If you want something a little more then go with Logic Express or bump up to the full version.

All three will suffice if you're just doing demos and recording ideas etc.

My advice would be to figure out which program works with you the best. DAWs all offer various work flows that suit one person but not someone else. The work flow and layout of Logic makes sense to me and seems straightforward, whereas others didn't click with me quite as easily.

Definitely check out Garageband since it's included with all newer Macs.

Any new interface will work for demos.

I've used Logic Express for years, and though my iMac isn't quick enough to run v9, v8 does everything I want. It's less intuitive than GarageBand, but the sound quality makes the learning curve worth learning. To me, at least.

garageband comes pre loaded on all (or most) new MAC's and it's a lot of fun. If all you're doing is demos then garageband is perfect. Logic express is just as easy to use but has better guitar tones IMO. As for an interface I use a M-Audio Fast Track Pro and It does the job just fine.

I am in the same boat. Not sure to get Cubase (which I am very familiar with), Logic Express or people keep saying to get Reaper. But watching tutorials on Reaper.....it does not look very user friendly or odd the way it works with mainly using right clicks. Also when ever I read or watch vids on Logic all they ever talk about is all the models and FX etc. I DON'T want that. I want to mic my 4X12's with SM 57's and record real guitar tones and not use any amp models.

Quick questions. I have EZ drummer for just demo's and a Lexicon Lambda; and 2 M-Audio Monitors. Does Logic Express and Garage band for that matter allow for installation of EZ drummer as a VST?

Also since my iMac is just a i3; does it really make a difference in terms of speed and any latency issues to record to a 1 Terabyte external HD?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks.

Also is 4GB of internal RAM enough for live recording or should I bump it up to 8GB or 16GB of RAM on the iMac. Adding RAM to iMac's looks fairly easy from you tube videos I watched of how to remove the old RAM and add more. Thanks again.

sean106ESP said:
Quick questions. I have EZ drummer for just demo's and a Lexicon Lambda; and 2 M-Audio Monitors. Does Logic Express and Garage band for that matter allow for installation of EZ drummer as a VST?

Also since my iMac is just a i3; does it really make a difference in terms of speed and any latency issues to record to a 1 Terabyte external HD?

Thanks in advance.

Logic Express (v 7 or higher) and Garageband (v 3 or higher) are both compatible with EZD.

Depending on what you mean by "demo new stuff" kick off with Garageband and the M Audio Fast Track Pro. Great basic set up and low $ layout. Keep in mind that the 2 main limitations with the Fast Track Pro are 2 inputs and USB connectivity (which generally isn't too big a deal). If you find you want more and budget permits and/or your livelihood depends on the quality of your demos then a great set up is Logic Studio (awesome bang for the buck, no, lots of folks don't need this but check it out!) and an Apogee Ensemble. Then of course you're going to want to consider mics, outboard gear, monitors, room treatment, etc.....

If you've got the Mac, you've got GB, pick yourself up a Fastrack Pro and you are off to the races.

Goerman said:
sean106ESP said:

Thanks in advance.

Logic Express (v 7 or higher) and Garageband (v 3 or higher) are both compatible with EZD.
Thanks.I am getting logic soon. But for now just wanted to fool around with garage band. Can by any chance you cna walk me through how to get it to recognize and record live mic's with my Lexicon Lambda? The iMac recognizes it and I use it and set it for my inpit and output speaker interface for all iMac sounds. But Garage band looks so bare bones....I can't see anywhere to record live mic'd tracks or install EZ drummer as a VST. Many thanks in advance!

Latest posts

Back