Cabinet help needed!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I don't necessarily need a cab for recording just yet. But, I figured this would be the best place to put this.

We recently moved to Washington State. Our neighbors are farther away, but one of them is a real tool.

What do you guys use to isolate your cabinets when recording loudly?
I need to be able to test amps at super high volumes without pissing off the neighbors.

If the answer is an isolation cabinet, does anyone have plans for one?????

Thanks in advance!
Andy

As luck may have it... I actually saved a forum post many years ago where a guy posted a how to on how to build an iso-cab, with pics and everything. Gimme your email and I can zip it all up and email it over? 8)

BTW, I hear the best way to deal with jerk-off neighbours who don't appreciate Mesa's running at full output is to just lock your doors and keep on playing until the Cops turn off power to your house... :lol:

Iso-cabs suck if they're done incorrectly. Make sure you buy or build one right :)

I use a homemade blocker. It's like an empty 1"x6" boards made into a 3x4' frame, packed with fiberglass insulation, and covered with an old bedsheet. Then I made two blockers out of 2"x3'x3' foam, and I stuck 4 1'x1' pieces of auralex 2" foam on each one.

Auralex or acoustic equivalent is KEY. Don't assume any piece of foam is acoustic foam. I was blown away at how much Auralex makes a difference.

So surround your cab with 3 pieces of something similar to that, and you also have to lift the cab off the floor. Use a cab isolator, or whatever, just get the cab off direct contact with the floor.

Let me know how it goes :)

Some years back I made a stick figure mic booth 6'x6'x7' high out of 2x2's and sound deadening blankets (movers blankets are similar). It is not sound proof, but does create an acoustically dead (almost dead, anyway) space around the mics. Then when I started getting into mic'ing tube amps I had to conjure some additional means. So I made a smaller version of the same thing, about 3x3x3, put it inside the mic booth and covered it with more sound deadening blankets. Big enough to hold any of my guitar cabs with a mic in front, but still leaving enough room in the mic booth for a person to stand and sing or sit and play acoustic. A small blanketed box inside a bigger blanketed box......in the basement.

Now I can crank my 10 and 20 watt tube amps up full blast while connected to the cab in the booth, and people sitting one floor above watching tv can hear something but they are not sure what song I am recording. People in bed two floors up say they never hear a thing. It works because the booth is in the basement. If I had neighbours below it would not be adequate.

gtrrig1uu4.jpg

guitar goes to the pedalboard, with the requisite overdrive, compressor, noise gate, tuner, wah and vibe....

that goes into a 1981 Mesa Boogie Mark2B 60 watt short shell head....

out of that, directly into the Palmer PDI-09, which is how i capture the sound that goes on the recording. at line level.

out of the palmer thru a parallel out, into a Weber Mass lite attenuator, so i can bring the cabinet volume down for monitoring or micing, at either whisper or screaming volume.

out of the Mass Lite, into a AVATAR vintage closed back cab, with a Celestion Heritage G12.

i can mic that cab using either a sm57, or a AT4033, and blend it with the direct Palmer sound, or just use the Palmer signal, which is what i typically do.

A Yamaha DG stomp effects pedal, is in the effects loop of the boogie, which is great live, but i never use it for recording..

i always record bone dry, and add effects at mix down.

the way i record with it tho, the palmer pdi-09 comes directly off of the amp output, BEFORE the weber sees it, and that's what goes to the mixer.

the weber then attenuates, and i have the option of micing the cab at that point, so the direct sees full output, the cab sees the attenuated output.
i can control the 'monitoring' volume at any volume up to full output (60 watts is pretty freakin' loud)......

or i can crank down on the attenuator, and record the boogie at full output, but at whisper volume.
i'd prefer an isolation room with a wide open cabinet, but alas, the landlord does not like that sound.

LOL

i also have a Demeter Silent Speaker Cabinet, i'm not using, i'd sell you.

PM if interested.
demeterboogiecropoe4.jpg

isocabopen.jpg

Latest posts

Back