Using the "Pull Deep" with recording.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SonicProvocateur

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm working on our band's new album and me and my producer are having a bit of a quibble over using the pull deep feature. I think it adds more depth and punch, but he defends it's going to add more frequencies in the kick drum and bass range that he's going to have to eventually EQ out anyway. I also figure our other guitarist is going to be using a 5150 which is going to have pretty beefy low end all the same. I think without the Pull Deep it's going to make my Mark III sound a little tinny and thrashy and not sweet, lush, and crushing...it's a pretty big concern in the tone department.

What do you guys think in regards to using the Pull Deep on recordings and how it's going to be translated into the final mixing?

Try it both ways, then a/b them to find the one that sits in the mix the best. There is a fine line between the low frequency's of the kick drum and bass drum, let alone adding more bottom end with your guitar tone.

hmmm....I find my 5150 to have much less low end than my Mark IV, even when the bass is maxed on the 5150.

I understand that a lot of 5150 players max their bass, and lately I've been running it a little higher.

A/B both and see which everyone likes best. also, will you be quad tracking? then you'd be 5150/Mesa Left -- Mesa/5150 Right, which would make for some serious tonez.

I think Burnstudios hits on a key point here... as a Strat guy, I've always been inclined to pull the deep switch. However, as a guitarist, it's always hard to get my head around the difference with what sounds like a good, full tone live and how it 'sits in a mix' with other tracks/instruments. I remember good buddies who were engineers tweaking my Mk III with me in the studio, and I'd be 'wow, what a thin sound' when I played in front of the amp, but then what a tone on the tape! There is a lot of discussion on this with respect to recording with lower gain levels to actually get a more powerful track.

I'd say listen to the engineer, but don't blindly follow... try it both ways. In theory, I can see the deep pulled adding too much for the track.

Another useless anecdote... I tried out a Jan Phillips 5751 for kicks in the V1... Overall, it turned my amp into pure icepick city, except for one 'crunch' tone (I think either in R2 or Lead with lead gain to 4-5)... I can remember thinking, "Man, I can see this sound sitting perfectly on a record." Kept the tube laying around just to try to record that one tone, but laziness has prevented its actual execution... but it helps that there are two definite mindsets to consider when going from playing recording.

Sincerely, the rantings of yet another frustrated tone chaser.

It depends on the producer. How much do you trust him? If he has good credentials and you like the sound of his work, then why are you arguing with him? I'm not being sarcastic when I ask that, I'm just trying to get you to see his side.

Sometimes, a really amazing guitar tone just doesn't sit well in a mix. Your tone with the, "pull deep" enabled sounds awesome to you, but in a mix, maybe it DOES sound muddy and maybe it DOES get in the way of the drums.

Turns out it wouldn't matter if I was using it or not because he's been pulling those pull-deep frequencies out from 80-whatever anyway. I'm pretty pissed. We did these live recordings (pull deep on) and he pulled the frequencies to let the bass come through. Now both our guitars sound thin and fizzy.

The actual album recordings sound a good bit better because I made him put them back in, but I am still grappling with treble issues.

http://netmusicians.org/?section=id&value=8611

http://netmusicians.org/?section=id&value=8609

Well, if you're not happy with your guitar tone, that's an entirely different story. It's YOUR music, so speak up about it.

Latest posts

Back