What Do You Use For Home Mastering? I Want To Drop Wavelab..

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soundchaser59

Reaction score
I do my tracking and mixing in Reaper now, converted from Sonar, but up until now I had been using Wavelab Essentials 5 to do some simple home mastering on my final stereo wav mix.

Well, now with Win 7 and a few other things updated, Wavelab will not run, it scans plugs and just crashes. Steinberg (burns my ears to say that word) wants me to pay more money to install the "update" that is actually an "upgrade" to Essentials 6. In typical brilliant fashion, they dont even give me a way to activate it or license it. So I said to myself, "F******K IT! Stei******rg can s***k my a*******ss!" (Pardon my Spanish!)

So, the next obvious question becomes what other apps can I choose from that will do my simple home mastering? Mostly I just use Ozone 4, with maybe a touch of Sonic Maximizer or a Limiter, nothing dazzling.

Audacity is free but it doesn't really do plugins or have the versatility to burn a redbook spec cd for dup'ing, etc. I might check Izotope to see if they have anything like that.

What do you people use for this? Is there some other open source app out there that will do what Wavelab does and will let me use Ozone and burn discs that can be copied, etc....? A lot of people are hyping CD Architect, any users there?

Be nice to have something inexpensive. I'm tired of being drained by the upgrade machines so many vendors burden us with. That's the main reason I left Sonar to join Reaper......I can afford it.

I use Sonar 6PE.

i also use Wavelab 5

i run on XP, which to me, is the most obvious thing to do.

that said, i have used nothing but the SONITUS suite plugins (that come standard with S6PE) to master, and they work ALMOST as well as wavelab.

i don't use W7, see no need to upgrade, so i'm staying right where i am, with a good solid working system.

I use Sonar LE (I know, not the full version, but it still works well for me)....it came with my Emu 0404 card.
When I went Win7, 64 bit, it stopped working. I tried to upgrade from the Emu site.
The "upgrade" still had issues. Shortly afterward, I got an email from Sonar with a 64bit version and it works fine.
Wish I could remember more detail and where to find the link, but Sonar "seems" to be more willing to support the change to Win7 and 64bit. You may wish to contact them if you want to try Sonar again.

Other than that, I wish you good luck! :wink:
(I do like that Win7, though..... :D )

I just use GoldWave, but granted, I don't do a hell of a lot of mastering other than setting volumes and doing some compression.

Latest posts

Back