How to record

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malin

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I usually recorder from the mic on my laptop but it sounded like complete ****. How can I record directly into my laptop?

Here is my rig:

Mesa Boogie DR
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Cab
Furman PQ3 Equilizer
Furman PL Plus power conditionner
TC G Major
Behringer BTR2000 Rack Tuner
Behringer FCB1010
Morley Pro Serie Wah

I have no clue how to record but can I record straight up with my rig or....????

first you will need a DAW (recording program).....I used Reaper, its free and pretty powerful.

second you may want to get a preamp or external soundcard that bypasses your computers soundcard, such as M-Audio.

Third, a good mic. Shure SM57 will do fine.

Mic the cab, run mic to preamp, to comp.

the way I started was very unprofessional and very raw. I used to just take the headphone or recording out of my amp and run it straight into my Line In of my computer. it worked, but sounded pretty crappy. But you run into latency issues and just overall poor sound quality this way.

I've had awesome results using impulse responses. Check out this thread. I agree with bryan that Reaper is pretty cool. It's simple to use.

yeah, impulses are great. a bit confusing to me at first, but pretty basic once you figure out how everything works. I was recording my direct guitar straight into my computers line in and using Revalver and impulses for my distorted tones. Not the greatest, but it works.

I just got into the home recording game and also run Reaper (effing great program), EZDrummer for ideas and a Line 6 UX2 for the interface using POD Farm for plug-ins. Can't say enough about the Line 6 stuff. ZERO latency and bang for the buck!!

the FIRST thing you may want to do, is to buy a good book, on recording.

fluff191 said:
I just got into the home recording game and also run Reaper (effing great program), EZDrummer for ideas and a Line 6 UX2 for the interface using POD Farm for plug-ins. Can't say enough about the Line 6 stuff. ZERO latency and bang for the buck!!

MAC or PC?

what is the difference between the full commercial license version of reaper and the discounted license version?

None. You just pay more for the commerical license if it's going to run on more than 1 computer and you will be making money from its use. Its all the same program though.

first you will need a DAW (recording program).....I used Reaper, its free and pretty powerful.

I'm late to the party! Sorry for reviving an old thread.

Is there still a free version of Reaper? I just went to their site and it is now $40 for the standard license but has a free 30 trial period.

Monsta-Tone said:
I'm late to the party! Sorry for reviving an old thread.

Is there still a free version of Reaper? I just went to their site and it is now $40 for the standard license but has a free 30 trial period.

It was never free. It actually used to be $60. The 30-day trial is full-use though. No restrictions.

This thread is to see how old the members in this community really are, be honest

I am 21 years old

Dercresy said:
This thread is to see how old the members in this community really are, be honest

I am 21 years old

Two words: 'cassette' and 'tapes'.

I win :D

Re: recording (ie Getting Back to Topic) I've had excellent results using the 'Recording Out' jacks of my Studio Preamp (which, incidentally, is also 21 years old) straight into a Tascam digital 8-track. This sounds pretty **** good and is fine for demos with the added advantages that you don't have to worry about external noises or the can of worms that is mic. placement.

I do, however, want to capture the sound of the wee 5W EL-84 class A amp I build myself last year, for this I intend to get an SM-57 at some point.

Back