pro tools le 7.0 vs 80

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surferdeac

Reaction score
was just wondering if any of you guys that are familiar with pro tools software know any of the differences between say 7.0 vs 8.0. In particular with regards to any differences in terms of wether or not 8.0 is substantially better than 7.0. I am satisfied with my recording setup. I use 7.0 le with my g5 power mac. If anybody could comment on what are the big differences between later versions of 7.0 I would greatly appreciate it. I have been using my 7.0 version of pro tools extensively in my homemade studio for the last 2 years or so and am very comfortable with it. and have no complaints so far with regards to what I can achieve and the overall recording quality that my system can produce. If 8.0 has any advantages to say overall audio quality or maybe it has some convienient editing upgrades from 7.0 i may consider it. The only thing is that I would have to upgrade my software on my mac from tiger to whatever 8.0 need in order to operate (I think maybe Leopard. I use an Mbox 2 and have a g5 pwoer mac 2.3 duo core ghz processor and 2 gigs of ECC ram. With 7.0 I never have latency problems with my setup and only when I am running more than say 5-7 tracks with mutiple plug ins on each track with a session at 24bit with 48 khz quality that i might have to adjust some settings on my pro tools to for my cpu to handle It, but this is rarely the case with my recording needs. --------- Would Running a later version of Tiger software 10.4.1 with say a 8.0 le upgrade put more of a strain on my cpu and actually limit my computers ability to handle my recording needs based on the setup I have ????? . Any guys using similiar setups with g5 power macs I would greatly appreciate you opinions. I am also planning on spending some more time in this area of the board and really feel bad that I haven't spent more time in this area of the board for I do a lot of recording and have a pretty good setup in my Cottage. I will in the future post information and pictures of my studio to share with everyone. the key to getting good quality recording from home with regards to guitar based recordings is micing your tube amp and building yourself a good sized isolated sound proof amp enclosure for an extension cab while monitoring your sound in another room (controll room) via your monitor speakers with the rest of your studio sepup.

i would say upgrade to 7.4. 8 still has some issues and is a bit more cpu intensive. they have the newest build 8.03 down in processing power quite a bit but is still some serious bugs to deal with. could check compatibility on the duc but i believe 7.4 will work with your os. 7.3-7.4 were both very stable releases. they also have cs updates on all the major versions wich are about necessary to check into for bug updates. the duc is the place to go.

elastic audio in 7.4 and get elastic pitch in ver 8 are killer. i use elastic audio quite a bit. but this is the biggest new update other than a complete gui overhaul in 8. there is a few other extras as well, but much more minor. if you are content and not having issues i would say dont touch it, but 7.4 is actually less cpu intensive that 7 as long as you do not get to many tracks of audio with elastic turned on. 7.3 is the most cpu efficient of the 7.x versions but 7.4 is not to far behind.

thanks for your insight Guitardom. I upgraded to 7.4 Le on my model A1117 g5 ppc mac 2.3 ghz dual core running osx 10.4.11 tiger and 6gigs of Ecc Ram with a EZ quest pro Audio external hard drive and couldn't be happier. There are quite a few upgrades on 7.4 from 7 and I am very satisfied with it. It runs smoother and allows for easier editing capabilities on the fly. I am a player/composer first and a producer second, so i figured I could wait a couple more years before I decide to upgrade my computer and pro tools system. If anything I could get some more ram which i know has already made such a difference for me seeing that i just upgraded from 2 gigs of Ecc to 6 gigs as soon as I decided to make the jump to 7.4

the only thing i wanna do right now is get rid of the video application that i accidentally uploaded when i made the upgrade, because i don't have a need for it but i don't want to mess anything up at this time????????????????????

I have never had a problem really with the reliability of 7.0. it never crashed on me with osx tiger platfrom so i went for the max 7.4 with the 10.4.11 platform, upgraded my ram, and couldn't be happier "if it aint broke why fix it i guess :) )

Back