the best or "right" way to re-amp?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan_kilco

Reaction score
I'm going to be recording DI guitars soon for a project I'm working on. I want to reamp the tracks using a Dual Recto, Mark IV and a Peavey 5150.

Now, I have access to an M-Audio Fast Track Pro (which I'll be using for the DI guitars), but what is the best or "correct" way to actually run the signal back through the amp?

Last time I did it like this:

(before I had the M-Audio)

recorded DI guitars were saved on my laptop, so I ran my Headphone Out into my Mark IV's Input, mic'd the cab, then ran the mic back into my computers Line In. This probably is not the best route, but I'm open to any other suggestions.

I'm thinking, for cutting down latency, maybe saving the clean DI tracks disc, then playing it from another device such as cd player, into the M-Audio, then out of that to my computer?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I have an Audio Kontrol 1. It's similar in some respects to your M Audio. Here's what I do. I run the head through the line out of a Weber attenuator, pretty much like you're going to DI it. Then, I use one of the outputs on the back of the interface straight into the input of the amp. I then mic the cab with the mic going into the input of the same interface. Make sure that when you're recording the track you mute it in the software. Otherwise you'll get a really bad loop. If this is too confusing I could make you a video.

no, I understand. I dont have an attenuator. I was going to run:

amp -> cab -> mic ->interface -> daw

should work, right?

I'm mostly concerned with any latency issues. the m audio is basically latency free, but once i play the clean track from the computer then by the time it hits the amp, mic, interface, then back to the computer, im sure i'll have latency.

Yeah you don't need an attenuator. It's just what I use. So record your track once. Doesn't matter how you do it. Then go interface output -> amp input -> cab-> mic-> interface input. You will need at least 2 separate tracks in your DAW. 1 for the original file and the 2nd one will be the re amped one. Again, when you're recording make sure that track 2 is muted and your metronome is turned all the way down. When you're recording you want ONLY the original track soloed so that it's the ONLY track going thru your interface output.

just realized something.....I wont be able to play out of my Headphone Out of my computer to send the signal to the interface if I have ASIO selected, which is what I need to run my interface. :?

wait, I wouldnt need to do that, since my interface is acting as the soundcard, and will still let me play the original DI track ...... sorry, confusion.

Exactly. The interface is your sound card when it's plugged in. You will use output 1 of your M Audio. Make sure in your DAW you set the output of the mix to mono. Use a TRS cable to go from the soundcard to the amp input.

P.S. You never want to use a headphone tap as a line out if you can help it. Not if you're serious about recording something.

your headphone out doesn´t has the right resistance for the amp input!

for the guitar recording step, use an instrument input (high-z) on your interface or use a DI-box and run the XLR out to the input of your interface. if you get a clipping signal, use a little stompbox in front of your DI-box (needs not to be active - only has to bee in the signal path) to match the impedance of the DI-box.

now that you´ve recorded the dry signal, you´ll need a reamping-box to send the signal back to the amps.
e.g. use the radial reamping box or the new palmer daccapo reamping-box.
both make sure, that the impedance of your signal will match the amp-inputs.

if you don´t have a matching impedance, your amps will produce a lot of noise.

joe web, if I dont use a DI box or reamp box?

I'm basically using my Boss NS-2 Gate pedal as a DI box, I think?

so, if I split the signal from the gate pedal, send to interface and record the dry "DI" guitars (which we already did), then send the signal from the M-Audio out to my amp, it could damage something?

=/

We already took a decent amount of time getting tracks down for this.

for the recording process, do it this way, if it works for you.
for the reamping process, i´m not sure if it could damage your amp. but i´m sure, the impedance isn´t correct.
i did some reamping with the output of the audio interface into the amp and got a lot of noise because it´s not a high impedance signal like the amp gets from the guitar.
maybe (but not sure if this works!!!) you could use a buffer-amp or e.g. mxr/cae line-driver pedal in between the audio interface output and the amp input.

i would go with the palmer daccapo reamping box. it isn´t too expensive at all, and very useful for future recordings.

what would change the impedence?

if I ran my interface to my Boss NS-2, then to the amp, would that have any effect?

Sorry, I'm sort of new to the recording process and I LOVE it, I'm just sort of uneducated in this department.

bryan_kilco said:
I'm mostly concerned with any latency issues. the m audio is basically latency free, but once i play the clean track from the computer then by the time it hits the amp, mic, interface, then back to the computer, im sure i'll have latency.
I think most are around 5ms latency (don't quote me on that ; ) You should be able to find out the true number, and then multiply that by how many passes you're making. Then just manually shift the final track by that much.

Send me your DI tracks, I'll re-amp them here with my roadster and orange cab and send them back ;)

paintballnsk said:
Send me your DI tracks, I'll re-amp them here with my roadster and orange cab and send them back ;)
that would be awesome! though I reallllly wanted the Mark IV and Recto reamp.....we were planning on just using Revalver amp sims for guitars to save some time and money, but I can send the tracks to you and see what you can provide. I'm sure the real deal sounds better than the sims by far, but again...really wanted the IV and Recto on this.

Latest posts

Back