Dedicated analog-to-digital converter to use w/ a mic pre

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ytse_jam

Reaction score
Hi, I was thinking about changing my very simple recording setup (which is just based on a cheap soundcard mic input), but instead of getting one of those recording interfaces I wanted to buy a good mic pre at a decent price (I had in mind the Golden Age Project PRE-73, which seems to be a good, fully discrete Neve 1073 clone for just about 250 euros) and a dedicated audio analog-to-digital converter (audio adc), if such a thing does exist. So, the question is, have anyone had experience with such devices? Which one would you suggest (always at a decent price)? Thank you

I've heard a lot of good things about the Apogee converters. But they are very pricey!!!

I would recoomend you to buy some audio interface, like an M-box, a 1 channel (maybe?) preamp (focusrite, presonus, etc), and a decent condenser mic.

One important thing o consider is how many tracks do you want to record simmultaneosly.

Thank you VijfZiel. I will use my setup just to record guitars (one track at a time) and maybe bass, and I need just one channel. That's why I was considering the GAP PRE-73 mic pre, since it's got just one channel. I was thinking about getting a simple adc converter instead of a recording interface because I wanted the output of the mic pre not to be coloured by other devices. But I realize a good adc converter is too expensive for me, as you pointed out. So, do you know if the line inputs/preamplifiers in such recording interfaces you suggested do colour the signal a lot? I would like something very clear and transparent

They do colour a little bit, but you can make a balance with the mic pre. The m-box (I own it) only has Gain control, so you can keep the gain control on the m-box to it's minimum and control everything from the pre. There are some good one-channel pres that includes a parametric Eq and a compressor, with this you can balance any colour comming out.

I've recorded in focusrite 8-channel pres directly going to a protools HD192 interfaces and have had very pristine and professional recordings.

i have an ART DPS II, which has (2) mic pres, and a stereo digital convertor.

this works very well, and sounds really decent for the low money it costs.

Back