GEQ engaged during recording?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erotomaniac1928

Reaction score
I really love the sound of my DC-5 in a live situation with the graphic eq in the classic V shape. Unfortunately , I'm not achieving the same tone while recording. It comes out very grindy and whoofy. My main question: Is it more common to have the GEQ off during recording and EQ it later?

Or, should I just try different mic positions? The other guitarist in my band gets a very true representation of his Stiletto with the mic setup we're using. The way that works for his amp may not work for mine, I guess. Any advice is welcome, as I'm a newbie when it comes to recording

I'd recommend running the gain lower than you normally would. Experiment. Try EQ'ing afterwards.

I recorded my DC 10 using a couple of different mic placements and never could really get it to sound good. I switched over to my Mark IV.

I record with the GEQ off on my DC-5, last tune i did was all clean channel with no GEQ, www.myspace.com/horizonsdawnmusic for the recording, give you an example.

Sixstringpsycho said:
I record with the GEQ off on my DC-5, last tune i did was all clean channel with no GEQ, http://www.myspace.com/horizonsdawnmusic for the recording, give you an example.

Have you done anything on the lead channel?

To Time Signature, thanks for the tips. Ill try backing the gain down too

Don't forget about the effect the mic and placement has on the final sound - a lot of the time, my e609 by itself sounded woofy and weird by itself, but with two tracks it sounded fine. You might want to try backing the mic away from your speaker a few inches to a foot to get more of the speaker in the recorded sound, then try moving it toward and away from the center of the speaker to see how it sounds.

I remember reading an interview with Eddie Kramer or some other famous producer and they recommended leaving the amp on (so there's noise coming through the speakers) putting on headphones and listening to how the sound of the noise changes while you move the mic. The most realistic noise sound will also be the most realistic amp sound.

Back