Quick Slave Out Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ct6mblue

Reaction score
I've been researching the whole Speaker Impulse response method lately, and I know you can use an amp head's line out (or slave out). So my question is (and I'm assuming this is the case) if I need a DI box to successfully record the slave out from my Dual Rectifier head. It's really noisy right now, and I'm not referring to the inherently thin fizzy tone you get from a slave out. I'm just wondering if a DI is all I need to solve this issue. Thanks

no you should not need a di to record a slave out. slave out is post preamp which means it has been bumped up from instrument level to line level via preamp. you should be running it into a line input on a recording interface, not a mic pre. might have to experiment to get rid of the noise. does it seem like a ground hum?? or does it seem much worse?? try getting your guitar away or facing away from computer monitors or similar devices, sometimes even cell phone in the pocket can be a source of noise. be sure you leave a speaker cab hooked up to your head when doing this!! you can burn up your output tranny or worse with no cab hooked up!!

Cab is definitely hooked up. I know unplugging it is a big "no no". Slave was running out via an instrument cable into a line input of a Mackie firewire interface. This noise is definitely worse than any sort of monitor, cell phone, or ground hum. Now that I think of it, I may have been doing something wrong on the DAW side of it. I can't remember, and there's no way to check at the moment. I'll have to mess with it later.

How bout recording the Effects send? Some of my impulse responses are rigged to sound like the preamp is being sent through either a 6L6 or EL34 power amp stage -> speaker -> mic (in whatever position). Are these basically the same thing? (the slave and effects send, that is) If they're both post-preamp, it should at least be similar, right? I could be totally off, so any enlightening info would be awesome.

ct6mblue said:
Cab is definitely hooked up. I know unplugging it is a big "no no". Slave was running out via an instrument cable into a line input of a Mackie firewire interface. This noise is definitely worse than any sort of monitor, cell phone, or ground hum. Now that I think of it, I may have been doing something wrong on the DAW side of it. I can't remember, and there's no way to check at the moment. I'll have to mess with it later.

How bout recording the Effects send? Some of my impulse responses are rigged to sound like the preamp is being sent through either a 6L6 or EL34 power amp stage -> speaker -> mic (in whatever position). Are these basically the same thing? (the slave and effects send, that is) If they're both post-preamp, it should at least be similar, right? I could be totally off, so any enlightening info would be awesome.

i am guessing your using recabinet by your post.

they should be similar. the slave is guaranteed to be after the eq settings as well. an fx loop could be before though not likely. sometimes the slave will also have a gain control. the slave is cool though because you might want to use your fx loop for....i dont know....fx maybe??? :D

i would check your output from the amp into the interface. check your +4/-10 switch. start at +4 if your gain is WAY to low then switch it to -10. if it needs to be at +4 and is at -10 you could be getting tons of extra noise. mic pre could cause excess noise as well, so try to avoid. you could also be causing a ground loop between your interface, computer, amp, and guitar at this point as well. as a last resort maybe try putting a ground lift on the power cable to the interface or computer and see if that changes anything.

guitardom said:
i am guessing your using recabinet by your post.

Attempting to anyway... :mrgreen:

The interface is actually powered by the firewire cable from the computer. It has the option to be externally powered, but I don't have it hooked up that way. Also, it's plenty quiet when recording anything else. I'll have to try some things and get back to you...

Latest posts

Back