Wanna start recording, but i've never recorded a guitar

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaper1984

Reaction score
I have never recorded a real guitar amp before.
Always had my Pod XT, but i've gotten tired of that sterile sound, at least for rhythmtones it just doesn't do it for me. I'm mostly gonna play metal stuff.
The amp i've got/just bought is an Mesa Boogie Dual Caliber 5 widebody Combo, and i'm aiming towards some Metallica early thrash metalish sound.

Question 1: How high does the Output volume needs to be on the leadchannel for optimal recording level?
I've just ordered a sm57, since that seems to be the standard for micing guitar amps.
I have tried different settings on the amp, from low gain to higher, less mids. Zero Bass and added Bass in the eq, etc. But I haven't really gotten a sound that i feel is "trashy" enough yet.
The eq seems to be able to do some radical changes.

Question 2: Some Settings for Dc5 metal stuff, that would be very appreciated.
This is the kind of sound i'm aiming towards. I know it's impossible to clone a sound, since micpositions, room etc have a big role too. Yes, the amp in the clip is a Dc5 i know it since i've mailed with Frank Klepacki that does the tunes in the clip, but i'm too shy to ask for specific settings. Usually producers don't want to "give away" their secrets you know.........
Something similar to this! Any idea what settings this might be? And what guitar/guitar pickups would be ideal for this style?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bo-nAQFhuQ&feature=related#movie_player

the guitarsound at 1:31 is the one i'm talking about.

If you've recorded with a POD, you probably know more than you think. There are a few hints to remember:

Mic placement has a huge effect, including location and angle of the mic. This especially comes into play when you go back later to the same project. Something a lot of people forget is that if they want to go back and fix something, especially a "punch-in" (gasp) things get weird if you don't have the exact same settings and mic placement. It's much easier to duplicate a sound when you go digital. So try to get it right the first time, because nothing is worst than the guitar tone changing in an odd way in the middle of a track!

What sounds good in the room and even on the phones might not sit well in the mix. Play with your sounds and mic placement, with some bass, drums, and other guitars, to make sure you get the footprint you want.

jojo said:
If you've recorded with a POD, you probably know more than you think. There are a few hints to remember:

Mic placement has a huge effect, including location and angle of the mic. This especially comes into play when you go back later to the same project. Something a lot of people forget is that if they want to go back and fix something, especially a "punch-in" (gasp) things get weird if you don't have the exact same settings and mic placement. It's much easier to duplicate a sound when you go digital. So try to get it right the first time, because nothing is worst than the guitar tone changing in an odd way in the middle of a track!

What sounds good in the room and even on the phones might not sit well in the mix. Play with your sounds and mic placement, with some bass, drums, and other guitars, to make sure you get the footprint you want.

Really good advice here. One thing I do is take notes and pictures of settings and mic placement so when I don't "get it right the first time.." I can at least get close for the punch in. Really have to +1 the advice on listening to the mix, can't tell you how many times I thought I had a killer sound in the room, then recorded it and it sounded muddy or screechy. I adjust my sound on how it comes across on "tape". Good luck.

Latest posts

Back