Recording Hardware for Computer

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpm91

Reaction score
I would like to start recording and was hoping for some recommendations. I am considered something that can be installed in my computer where I can plug in XLR mics into or an external preamp that interfaces with the computer, i.e. Mbox. Lets place my budget at around $300.00. I have too much gear and ideas for it to go unappreciated in just my room.

If you just need 1 or two channels I suggest the Mobile pre by M-Audio, if you need up to 4, they have another unit... can't recall the name off hand, but it's in your price range.

The Mbox is a little expensive. Check out any of the M-audio interfaces, they have a lot of products and one surely will meet your expectations.

www.m-audio.com

Also remember that not all the interfaces run with all DAW's (music production softwares, or digital audio workstations). If you are familiar with any software, try looking into one that is compatible with your software.

Thanks for the quick responses. I'll look into them and report back some good results.. hopefully.

Ok! If you decided to go pro tools, I can give you advice for it anytime! Have coursed succesfully 101 courseware. Good luck!!!

You can pick up an M-audio delta 44 for around 150 bucks... it will give you 4 ins and 4 outs. And records at 96khz. Its a pci card that you install in your pc, with a breakout box for all your ins and outs. Compared to a usb or firewire interface these have 0 latency, when recording at 96khz and 64meg buffer. You will need 4 preamps to go along with it.

burnstudios said:
You can pick up an M-audio delta 44 for around 150 bucks... it will give you 4 ins and 4 outs. And records at 96khz. Its a pci card that you install in your pc, with a breakout box for all your ins and outs. Compared to a usb or firewire interface these have 0 latency, when recording at 96khz and 64meg buffer. You will need 4 preamps to go along with it.

It looks like the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI might work better for me as I will be using SM57s with XLRs to record. Anybody have experience with this module? Does it record in separate tracks if you are using both XLRs? Sound quality? Software compatibility?

Don't forget to check your computer capacity. You may find the right equipment, but latency kills.

Also, search for used on kijiji and the likes.

I'm certain two xlr inputs will allow for two outputs, otherwise, it wouldn't be very helpfull to have two inputs and one output. Usually, you pick the input on each track in your daw, i.e. left and right from your sound card.

Don't forget about plug-ins too.

Back