Amp recording with attenuator vs. dynamic mic?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EtherealWidow

Reaction score
So basically I have 2 options of recording an amp. An Express 5:25 with an Avatar 2x12 with Celestion 70th anniversary speakers to be specific. Unfortunately though, I'm having a bit of trouble deciding on how to record it though. I was thinking about using a hotplate, but I hear that it can take away a lot of the harmonics and presence to the sound. I guess I could just have the head plugged into the hotplate without the cab, use a higher dB setting and use the line out, although I have heard that it can be a bit sterile sounding.

On the other hand, I could use a mic. e609 or sm57 or something. No one is home during the day so I could probably be able to crank it pretty well, close mic the cab, and then maybe put up a cheap fiber glass shield to protect my ears or something. Do you think that I would get the sound of the fiber glass/room/whatever at that loud of a volume being close mic'ed? Any help is appreciated.

this was MY answer to a similar issue:

gtrrig1uu4.jpg

guitar goes to the pedalboard, with the requisite overdrive, compressor, noise gate, tuner, wah and vibe....

that goes into a 1981 Mesa Boogie Mark2B 60 watt short shell head....

out of that, directly into the Palmer PDI-09, which is how i capture the sound that goes on the recording. at line level.

out of the palmer thru a parallel out, into a Weber Mass lite attenuator, so i can bring the cabinet volume down for monitoring or micing, at either whisper or screaming volume.

out of the Mass Lite, into a AVATAR vintage closed back cab, with a Celestion Heritage G12.

i can mic that cab using either a sm57, or a AT4033, and blend it with the direct Palmer sound, or just use the Palmer signal, which is what i typically do.

A Yamaha DG stomp effects pedal, is in the effects loop of the boogie, which is great live, but i never use it for recording..

i always record bone dry, and add effects at mix down.

the way i record with it tho, the palmer pdi-09 comes directly off of the amp output, BEFORE the weber sees it, and that's what goes to the mixer.

the weber then attenuates, and i have the option of micing the cab at that point, so the direct sees full output, the cab sees the attenuated output.
i can control the 'monitoring' volume at any volume up to full output (60 watts is pretty freakin' loud)......

or i can crank down on the attenuator, and record the boogie at full output, but at whisper volume.
i'd prefer an isolation room with a wide open cabinet, but alas, the landlord does not like that sound.

LOL

Yeah that recording method sounds like it would be really solid, but alas, I don't have that kind of cash. Either one or the other. I think I'm just gonna go with the E609. Cheaper and I know for a fact it doesn't color (or uncolor) the sound at all.

CLOSE MICING.....
and careful placement of the element, will eliminate most of the room sound.
which is what you want...
so the shield shouldn't be a problem.

Back