Looking for decent affordable mixing headphones

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iFreedom

Reaction score
I did a search but found more on headphone preamps than the headphones themselves.

I've found a slightly used pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro for $140 usd, but when I listened to them they seemed a little bassy and I'm looking more for a flat response.

Anybody every used the 770's?

Any suggestions on a decent set of phones?

i'd never mix anything with headphones.

that said, i love my AKG240's, for checking mix issues....

JF Omalycat said:
gonzo said:

I've read this, time and time again, from some reputable sources. Got to say, I've never had much luck mixing with headphones, either.

You can't mix with just headphones. Period. You need good monitors for that and a minimal room treatment.

That being said, good headphones can be used as second reference. I like my AKG271 for that. Very flat responce and transparent while a little weak on bass.

But anyway they can't replace good monitors.

nicoroy123 said:
JF Omalycat said:
gonzo said:

I've read this, time and time again, from some reputable sources. Got to say, I've never had much luck mixing with headphones, either.

You can't mix with just headphones. Period. You need good monitors for that and a minimal room treatment.

That being said, good headphones can be used as second reference. I like my AKG271 for that. Very flat responce and transparent while a little weak on bass.

But anyway they can't replace good monitors.

Yes, for sure, I use my monitors for mixing. I should have specified that the headphones were more for a second reference. I am looking for somthing that gives a flat response. I'll look into the AKG's and see what they are like. I was hoping that they would represent the bass well too.

Thanks.

I'll put my vote in for the K271's. I have lot's of pairs of headphones and if I need to mix on headphones, those are what i use. They are kind of midrangey and don't sound all that great, but they seem to translate quite well, provided of course understand that you need to make your mixes sound kind of midrangey. I find that they are kind of like the headphone version of Yamaha NS10's. Quite revealing...

Back