Can someone give me general tips on mic placement?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ketiov

Reaction score
I'd like to know how moving a mic generally affects the recorded sound. What does angling the mic towards/away from the cone do? Physically moving the mic around? Putting it closer/further away?

I've got a Mark IV with an EVM 12L Thiele.

This is my first time experimenting. My mic isn't ideal for guitar, but it's all I have and will have for my current project. I don't even know what mic it is. But if I do OK on this project, I'll go out and buy a good guitar microphone, maybe two.

Cheers.

In general, the center of the speaker is brighter then the the rest. Sometimes it can be quite harsh unless you combine it with another microphone on the outside of the speaker that is smoother and darker sounding. With those two combined, you'll get both brightness/presence and low end/girth. If you angle the microphone towards the center of the cone, it's typically brighter, but not quite as harsh. Angling it towards the outside of the cone will be darker sounding. As you move the microphone away from the speaker cone, the sounding gets more "roomy," whereas leaving it closer keeps it more direct sounding. You can also try experimenting with one mic close up and one further back. You can combine them together to taste.

Good luck and have fun...

Watch this video man it will help you out with what ya want .. I know it helped me out a ton

http://www.imperialmastering.com/guitartonevid/

I usually place my mic to the upper left or right quadrant of the amp. I place it slightly off axis as well. I seem to get the best sound that way.

Thanks guys! I actually bought a Sennheiser e609, and already I think the sound quality is worlds better. I've been toying around with placement, and I'll be sure to post what I record when it's done.

Just put a mic anywhere in the room, then exactly measure how far back and off centre the mic is from the cab, and exactly match that on the other side with another mic. then throw a 3rd mic literally anywhere in the room. Mix them all equally.

you'll be blown away by the results, and the same talent scout that signed the Strokes will sign you.

Back