What gauge strings do you use when recording?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Magic Hoof

Reaction score
If tuning to E standard, what gauge would you use for recording? I've heard that using thicker strings sound much better when recording. Using gauge 11 on bottom seems like a bit much at E standard, but I'm sure they sound great. Using a hybrid set also throws in another factor. You need a thicker gauge for bigger tone on the top 3 strings, but if it's too much you couldn't pull off vibrato as much.

What gauge would you use on top and on bottom? And if using a hybrid, what hybrid gauge?

I use 11's all the time, and i play in standard.

I can definitely tell the quality of the tone is better than thinner strings.

If you have log-neck LP, take .13 and you will like it. Fenders are good with .10-.12, no less than .9 Hybrid, but if you got some fast-neck Ibanez, placing .12 on it will tilt your neck. So for fast necks there are .9 hybrid up to 11 or 10 Hybrid. And many more depends on technique and playing style, as well as on guitar. Just consider the flexibility of your neck.

i use whatever gauge happens to be on the guitars at the time, sometimes 10's, sometimes 09's....

i figure, if allan holdsworth can track guitars using .008's, and get the MASSIVE sound he gets, the gauge is really irrelevant.

I've found that the string gauge doesn't really matter as much as having fresh strings.

.009s

9s on my RG, 10s on my Strat, 11s on a borrowed LTD EC-100 (EMGs, yuck) tuned to drop C

I'm convinced that Rotosound put more thought into their product than other companies (what with an extra highest string and all), not to mention that their strings sound fantastic.

gonzo said:
i figure, if allan holdsworth can track guitars using .008's, and get the MASSIVE sound he gets, the gauge is really irrelevant.

I'm just amazed he can actually play .008's, it's like playing a piece of hair.

I'm fond of 11-49s lately, on my Gibson LP and Explorer. Just enough girth, but enough of the "rubber band" feel that you can get some expressiveness from them. Thick strings and standard E tuning just make it sound like you're playing a dry, sterile piece of metal. Good for some type of music though, like some metal. I like 12-53 for D standard.

LTE said:
I'm just amazed he can actually play .008's, it's like playing a piece of hair.

It's because he has amazing touch.

I play straight set 8's and 9's(whatever I have or can get at the time) it doesn't matter. IMHO playing heavy strings to not sound thin is overblown.

You're also likely to have multiple takes of guitars in the mix and they will be eq'd to make room for other instruments/vox. I'm always amazed at how much I can thin out rhythm guitars in the mix and they will sound crappy soloed, but sound great when played with the bass and drum tracks.

I've been fiddling with this for a while. Always played 9's and then have been doing 10's for a while. I then wanted to 'beef' the tone, and while I loved the resonance in the lower strings, I could never feel like my fingers were the masters of the strings.

I'm actually back to 9's on the Strat, which took some gettng used to again.

The thing with recording is that it does not hide the performance, so forget about sacrificing ease and comfort for a perceived boost in tone. Use a fresh set of the guage with which you play most comfortably and with the most authority... and that's what will make the track.

Back