Moving, can't bring Road King, need software

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingster911

Reaction score
Is this the right place for some people to help me out with outfitting a computer with recording soft/hardware? I've heard of all the good stuff, but all I've ever used are beat generators, I'd like to have tools at my disposal to do all the basics, so maybe it's something like Acid I need? Guitar modeling software ?

I really like Guitar Rig 3 for modeling software. The mesa model is so so but the bogner uberschall is pretty decent. I have been able to get some very good sounding patches from clean jazzy sounds, bluesy stuff, metal, weird trippy stuff and anything else and it's easy to use. Some people will say get Amplitube 2. It's good but I have spent lots of time with both of them and like Guitar Rig 3 better. I think it sounds better.

For recording I think Cubase is good for PC. I'm not much into Pro Tools. I prefer Logic if you have a Mac. If you want lots of fun and options and have a Mac, I would get Reason, Logic (get it Reason and Logic hahaha) and Guitar Rig 3. If you have those...you can do anything you want in the world! Reason is great for anything synth, orchestra and drum samples and stuff like that. It's basically a virtual rack of any synths you want that you can control. You can slave Reason into Logic so that Logic controls Reason and Guitar Rig would be there for any of your guitar sounds

+1 on Guitar Rig 3 over Amplitube... although another alternative is to consider is a piece of modelling hardware. I use a Behringer V-amp pro with great results and you can use it as the front end of a live rig too if you like... Takes some strain off of your computer if you have lots of plugs running simultaneously.

I prefer ProTools myself... super easy to use and you pretty much get a complete hardware, software, sequencing and mastering package to work with...

+ 1 on Guitar Rig ove Amplitube too.
Also, i found Peavy ReValver MKIII Amp modeling over Guitar Rig, it sounds more natural, you can use Recabinet software too it sounds amazing with the MK III.
As far as a modeling software i pick line 6, they are not that good, but they do the job well, and if you have the money go for a Fractal Audio Axe-Fx.
I use nuendo and cubase, they are really good, also reason would be a great adition.

I own Amplitube LE, which IMO is total crap. BUT I have been told the LE version doesn't compare the the later versions. That being said, I've "heard" many samples of Guitar Rig that are far superior to any Amplitube samples I've heard. So it I were to take a gamble, I'd go with GR.

I have tried Revalver MKIII and like the tones but feel like it's limited. I personally think the mesa sounds in Revalver are terrible! I had some issues with latency in Revalver that I didn't have with Guitar Rig. Not sure why though.

I do like running my ENGL preamp into my computer then using the power amps in Revalver. That sounds nice and I like to be able to actually load impulse responses of real cabs into the cab emulator.

For ease of use and great sounds though I really enjoy using Guitar Rig 3. If I could have Guitar Rig 3 in an actual hardware device I would use it all the time.

I´m totally agree, the mesa sounds in revalver are terrible, but what i like about revalver is that it sounds less digital than guitar rig and amplitube. It take some times to dial good tones in it, but once you got the trick is easy.

Back