Budget Recording...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koolaid

Reaction score
I would like to get into the recording game, but I would like to keep the price below 600-700 bucks. I am no engineer and have never really recorded anything other than through a silly little computer mic. I would like to make quality demos of my playing (not grade a studio quality) but at an affordable price.

I have been looking at a couple different routes.

1. Line 6 pod x3 live which would seem to be the simplest way to record, but possibly not the best results since it would be omitting my mesa boogie.

2.A traditional interface such as an mbox or a presonus firepod with a shure sm-57 which seems like it would get the most quality results, but take longer to learn which I i do feel committed too.

3. Line 6 ux2 studio interface and shure sm-57 which would give me the best of both worlds. I could use the amp modeling if I do get lazy or mic up my amp and run it through this interface for pure boogie tone.

Im sure I will also need to invest in a set of monitors or studio headphones either way I go so suggests on those would be great as well.

As you can see I have a few ideas and im sure there are even better possibilities so hopefully someone can help me out.

koolaid said:
I would like to get into the recording game, but I would like to keep the price below 600-700 bucks. I am no engineer and have never really recorded anything other than through a silly little computer mic. I would like to make quality demos of my playing (not grade a studio quality) but at an affordable price.

I have been looking at a couple different routes.

1. Line 6 pod x3 live which would seem to be the simplest way to record, but possibly not the best results since it would be omitting my mesa boogie.

2.A traditional interface such as an mbox or a presonus firepod with a shure sm-57 which seems like it would get the most quality results, but take longer to learn which I i do feel committed too.

3. Line 6 ux2 studio interface and shure sm-57 which would give me the best of both worlds. I could use the amp modeling if I do get lazy or mic up my amp and run it through this interface for pure boogie tone.

Im sure I will also need to invest in a set of monitors or studio headphones either way I go so suggests on those would be great as well.

As you can see I have a few ideas and im sure there are even better possibilities so hopefully someone can help me out.

I started with an USB interface and was OK at first but the software can drive you crazy if you are not familiar with it, if you have the time to learn how to edit tracks to make them sound better then it will help for some thins but it will take time
anyway I tried this Boss Unit BR-900CD Digital recorder and it's made recording so easy for me. you can record directly or using a mic and the quality it's really good without having to adjust too much and you can transfer the files to your computer and edit them also with any software if you want.
It's got drums built in, guitar + bass effects, amp modeling, three recording modes, mastering tool kit AND MOST IMPORTANT easy to use.
CD writer and it's portable, you don't need a computer unless you need to import or export files.

Option Three will be good also but don't know much about line 6 products.
Monitors will help the best for recording (KRK ROKIT 5 it's what I have)

Good Luck
JC

nah man....

**** that....

Download Adobe Audition 3.0 if you can find it (if you're on PC. I'm on Mac and I'm making a virtual operating system on my mac purely to run Audition. Its that good)
Shure SM57
Boss BR-532 is what I use, but if you can afford a better one, do it.

http://www.myspace.com/davidnorrismusic
listen to "Shotgun (Demo)"

left channel guitar is my Orange AD30
right channel is my Dual Recto

No editing/mastering at all. Just record and mix.

My first set up consisted of a Presonus Firebox, Tracktion 2 Recodring Software, and an SM57. The Firebox comes bundled with Cuebase LE recording software, so you don't even need to purchace recording software. If you're in the marked for inexpensive software, I would recommend looking into Reaper http://www.reaper.fm/ . It's an excellent, very capable software, it's constantly being developed and updated. Once you have a basic set up, and start doing some recording, you will soon get a feel for what else you need.

A great web site for this is http://www.tweakheadz.com. They have a section "21 Ideas for Home Studio Rigs" that can give you some great ideas based on your budget, what you want to do and what equipment you already have. I went with a computer based system that uses an MAudio Delta 1010LT PCI card, a small mixer, some mics etc. It's probably closest to rig #3. It sounds excellent so far as I gradually add gear as I can afford it.

I'm in the same boat as koolaid. I'm looking at getting into home recording for about $600-$800 if possible. I'm still debating on a harwared based setup (BOSS, Tascam, Digitech, etc.) or software based (Cakewalk, etc.). I need drum machine capabilities as well so if it was built in, great. If not, I could go with a separate drum machine. This is all pretty daunting since I haven't done any home recording since owning a cheap, Tascam 4-track recorder back in the 90's (which was a POS, by the way).

RobbieAG said:
A great web site for this is http://www.tweakheadz.com. They have a section "21 Ideas for Home Studio Rigs" that can give you some great ideas based on your budget, what you want to do and what equipment you already have.

Robbie, great link, thanks. Do you happen to have a direct link to the "21 Ideas for Home Studio Rigs" by chance? I was poking around that site and didn't find that information.

Back