E-MU 0404 usb vs TASCAM US-144 vs Lexicon Lambda - help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACHIEVEIT

Reaction score
Hi, i am in the market for a portable and affordable usb audio interface with two xlr inputs (for two mics) that will allow me to record some guitar tracks. I searched a little and i am between the emu 0404, the tascam us-144 and the lexicon lambda. I recently noticed that the lexicon is 24bit/48khz maximum sample rate, while the tascam is 96khz/24bit and the emu 192khz/24bit (though 192khz can't be supported via the usb but according to the company they put 192max so that the 96khz performs better). That means that the lexicon might be out of competition. As for inputs/outputs i think they all pretty much accept the same though the emu also has spdif. Also, the lexicon and tascam are usb powered and should suffer if you connect two condenser mics at the same time (both requiring phantom supply 48v - but i intend to use dynamic mics). It is too much for the usb to handle. The emu shouldn't have that problem since it is plug powered. Now, because i don't know much about these things, which one would you think would be best for recording? Which has the best preamps? Also, how important is the sample rate to the quality? Would that factor only be sufficient to make a choice? So, any help welcome - i am completely clueless. Thanks

ACHIEVEIT said:
Hi, i am in the market for a portable and affordable usb audio interface with two xlr inputs (for two mics) that will allow me to record some guitar tracks. I searched a little and i am between the emu 0404, the tascam us-144 and the lexicon lambda. I recently noticed that the lexicon is 24bit/48khz maximum sample rate, while the tascam is 96khz/24bit and the emu 192khz/24bit (though 192khz can't be supported via the usb but according to the company they put 192max so that the 96khz performs better). That means that the lexicon might be out of competition. As for inputs/outputs i think they all pretty much accept the same though the emu also has spdif. Also, the lexicon and tascam are usb powered and should suffer if you connect two condenser mics at the same time (both requiring phantom supply 48v - but i intend to use dynamic mics). It is too much for the usb to handle. The emu shouldn't have that problem since it is plug powered. Now, because i don't know much about these things, which one would you think would be best for recording? Which has the best preamps? Also, how important is the sample rate to the quality? Would that factor only be sufficient to make a choice? So, any help welcome - i am completely clueless. Thanks

I have the Emu and I like it, but one thing i did not like was the software, having to deal with that did not do it for me because I was spending too much time messing with it so I tried a digital recorder Boss DR-900CD and it's made recording so easy for me, If you have the time and you are good with audio software like the sonar or cubase or any other then any of the three mentioned above will work just fine.

The quality of sound on the Boss unit it's just amazing without having to adjust too much. It's portable, it has drums built in it, guitar-bass Effects and easy to use.

I recorded a few guitar tracks with it check them out on myspace
http://www.myspace.com/acefully
and also I did a cover
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GArK7ZQBFUo&fmt=18I
Good Luck
JC

Back