Do you record with different amp settings?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaz

Reaction score
I just started recording with decent mics and stuff yesterday and have found my tone that, in person, is fine but recorded is too harsh and fizzy. Does anyone here find they need to change their amp's settings when recording to achieve the same sound?

i change my amp settings for every single track i do.

doesn't matter, if it's just doubling another rhythm track.

same deal, with using different guitars on different tracks.

i try to consider each guitar track as an individual event...
with it's own character, it's own eq, gain, volume, everything.

you don't paint with only the blue color, do you?

When I record, I dial in my tone, and THEN try to capture it. That lends itself to be much more of a challenge than it should be. I normally end up doing some kind of EQ and compression afterwards to get closer to the sound I just dialed in.

Don't worry about what your eq is when recording. I change it from what sounds good live to what sounds best recorded. They can differ very much.

gonzo said:
i change my amp settings for every single track i do.

doesn't matter, if it's just doubling another rhythm track.

same deal, with using different guitars on different tracks.

i try to consider each guitar track as an individual event...
with it's own character, it's own eq, gain, volume, everything.

you don't paint with only the blue color, do you?

+1000

I dialed in my settings, and they never change.

Its all about finding the right settings first. You can't dial in your settings while you're just standing there infront of your amp. You need to take a few steps back and hear actually whats coming out of your speakers when they're pointing right at your ears. You NEVER mic a cab 6" in the air about 1ft back from the amp back (where your ear sits when you're dialing in your sound). Your mic is sitting on the grille, right in front of a speaker, so thats where you need to stick your head when you're dialing in your tone.

Then you don't need to do any adjusting when you record.

If possible, tweak your amp while listening to it thru the monitors and the mic. Then you will know exactly how it's going to sound when it plays back.

As distance from the speaker increases, the lows tend to hold power while the highs will drop off more. That's one reason why it sounds so different to your ears 10 feet away than it sounds to the mic at 1 inch. The mic hears the high freq stuff that is very powerful 1 inch from the speaker, stuff you cant hear when you stand away from it.

Back