rehersal recording

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackface tweed

Reaction score
Hey, fellas, need you adwise once again:)

I need to do some regular rehersal recordings like recording a whole rehersal session 3 hours long.
So looking for some kind of cheap solution(300$ or something)
Trouble is: we're not miced at all just straght guitars, amps and drums. :roll:
Does anyone has any experience in this type of recording?
Lately I've been thinking about some king of portable recorder like olimpus ls-10, it's just about 300$.
But I'm afraid that loud music will overload the the mic in it...

so any feedback would be highly appreciated!!! :wink:

go for something like a zoom H-2 or H-4 or a tascam DR-series

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h2/

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h4/

http://www.tascam.com/products/dr-1.html

I don't have either, but know people with the H2 and the H4. I believe both have a lower gain mode or limiter that allows you to record pretty loud music without clipping. Most of the people who bought the H2 wish they had spent more for the 4. If you're just looking to have a reference to listen back to the practice, this kind of setup works fine. I've done similar types of recording using devices as low tech as a cassette boombox (back in the '80's).

The key if nothing is mic'ed is placement. Obviously placing it too close to or in the path of any one instrument will cause that instrument to drown out the others. There's usually a "sweet spot" somewhere in the room where you get the best mix. Find that and you're golden. Good placement also will help with clipping.

bloodspoint said:
If you're just looking to have a reference to listen back to the practice, this kind of setup works fine. I've done similar types of recording using devices as low tech as a cassette boombox (back in the '80's).
Eah I need that record just to have some kind of material to work at home, or to quickly find out how's the songs are. It's rather hard to analyze music while playing it. :(

Arriving late at the party here but I just signed up. The H2 is the perfect tool for recording practice sessions. I put mine on a mic stand (with the included adapter) and put it at the entrance to a large family room where we practice. 5 piece, 2 guitars, bass, vocals, and a very loud drummer. It works beautifully. Probably the best $200.00 I ever spent on gear. Plus you can do a line out from the board and record as well. 4-way mic'ing capabilities, instant playback etc. Usually we playback our practices through the board while packing up and having a few beers and discuss changes etc. I can hook up via USB to any computer and it works like another harddrive. You can easily get 5 hours on a 2GB mem card in 320hz .mp3 or you have the .wav options as well. Perfect gear and a very reasonable price. The recordings sound great as well!

Oh and it does have a 3 way limiter plus you can set and monitor recording levels as well.

Back