Recording Amps with SM57

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xT00BZRG00Dx

Reaction score
Would this sound good???? Amp-SM57-ART Tube Preamp-Reaper is what I was thinking. Could you suggest me a good Audio Interface or Mic Preamnp under 200$???

Hey man, I'm going to be honest the Art stuff really isn't that great. If you want a pretty decent pre-amp (I'm not talking high end but very usable) I'd go with an FMR Audio RNP. I have one myself, and for some reason they make SM57's sound awesome. You need a preamp with lots of gain for a dynamic like a 57, and the RNP does it nicely. Its the best money for its price:

$475.00 for 2 channels, you can buy it here http://www.mercenary.com/fmrrnmp.html

If you're really strapped for cash I've heard good things about the Studio Projects VTB-1 Tube Blend Mic Preamp. Check it out, but its definitely low end stuff. Better than the ART in my opinion.

The Firebox won't come close to what the RNP will do for the SM57. I still use the Firebox for many things, but when ever I use my SM57, the RNP is definitely my go to box. The firebox just doesn't have enough gain (45db if I remember right) for those dynamics without making alot of noise. Don't get me wrong, I really like the Firebox, just not for using with dynamic mics.

when you ask 'will this sound good?', you have to say 'relative to..............'

i mean, it'll make a decent recording, is that all you want?

do you want it to sound 'good'?

typically, recordings only sound as good as the weakest link in the chain.

Go listen to the first song on my myspace page www.myspace.com/burnstudios those guitar tracks were done with a sm57 and ART TPSII pre ( interfaces 2x m-audio delta 44 ) . The amp used was a mesa boogie single rec and 2 eminence texas heats .. 2 tracks were done with the guitar going right into the amp and 2 more with ibanez tube screamer.. You can get decent results with an ART tube pre.. if thats all you have then do the best with what you have ;)

The Dual Rectifier stuff sounds just fine if you ask me, but it sounded like there was some confusion between the guitarists and drummer on whether to play 16ths or triplets...

But you know what would have sounded even better than anything mentioned so far? Apogee AD-16s. Yeah. You guys are crazy, of COURSE something more expensive is going to sound better; isn't that how most musical gear works, anyway?

they were just young kids , I think with some time and practice they could be pretty good.. and the amp used was a single rec not a dually ;)

Back