Simple question.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PineappleBrains

Reaction score
My band is recording our guitars tomorrow, and i just have a simple question. Should we turn the amps on and just get started, or turn them amps on beforehand and let them warm up for an extended period of time? Also is there a point if it takes real long that the amps should be shut off and allowed to be cooled for a little while?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Edit (a couple seconds later): We are doing the recordings ourselves, and my bassist found this online. I though it was pretty interesting. Just some food for thought in case anyone was interested.
http://www.badmuckingfastard.com/sound/slipperman.html#room

Turn them on but leave the standby engaged for 5-10 minutes to let the tubes warm up.

Not only should you turn them on and let them warm up, but if you're also recording, you should do a mic check for each mic and each guitar. Are you guys recording in a studio? If not, what kind of setup are you using? Do you have a sound engineer? Are you recording live or in layers?

Give us a little info to work with and we might be able to help you more.

I was just wondering about warming the tubes up before hand. We went through with the recordings today, and i must say it turned out pretty good. We did everything ourselves in the quiet room of our towns rec center. Once we get everything mixed ad mastered, I'll post it for you guys!!! Im stoked to get it done now.

Yes, not only should you let the tubes warm up before switching on, but you should play the amp for about 20 minutes! Believe it or not, the tone changes for the better in this time span. It really can take tubes that long to get truly warm. Take my word for it from my own recording experience.

i turn my amp on an hour before i start.

i hear a difference, do you not?

Elpelotero said:
Yes, not only should you let the tubes warm up before switching on, but you should play the amp for about 20 minutes! Believe it or not, the tone changes for the better in this time span. It really can take tubes that long to get truly warm. Take my word for it from my own recording experience.
That's **** good advice, and something I don't hear mentioned much.

Latest posts

Back