Hiss from cab?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AliensExist4

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I haven't posted in the forums in a while but I'm back! I recently moved from Logic 8 to Pro Tools LE 7.4.2 and I'm using an MBox 2 Pro. I've been having problems with what seems to me, to be allot of hissing coming from the amp whether I'm recording clean or distorted guitars and whether or not my volume on my guitar is completely down. What have I been doing in the past is EQ'n with a LPF but it seems that unless I do a ton of it it's still pretty noticeable and if I do too much it ruin my original guitar sound. Any help/info would be great. Here is a list of my gear I am using:
- Mesa Boogie Triple Rec. Head (2 channel)
- Mesa Boogie 2x12 Rec. Cab (horizontal)
- Fender Strat
- Shure SM57
- Mbox 2Pro

Thanks,

- Patrick

If you're getting excessive hiss then you need to check that your tubes dont need replacing. If they're still new then you'd gotta adjust your settings.

If you're getting hiss without anything even plugged in, then you've got a problem because it means your pushing certain frequencies way too hard. However before you record, a handy tip is to leave your excessive hiss go nuts. Hell, make it hiss even more if you can. Plug everything in, put your guitar on its stand, then grab a pair of headphones and a mic. Listen through the headphones and move the mic around the speakers and find where the hiss is the loudest. Normally it'll be about half an inch off dead centre of the speaker. The area that this hiss occurs is roughly the size of an SM57 which is just another reason why they are the perfect mic. Once you've found this spot, stick your mic there and mark a little spot around the mic. I use tape and make a little box around where the mic sits. This is the optimum recording zone. Once you've done that, then go back and fix up your hiss. You either need to re-EQ your amp, or fix your tubes. I'd start EQ-ing by making everything sit at 12 o'clock and make slight adjustments depending on what you need. If the hiss comes back from a certain tweak, then you need to rethink it and instead of boosting that certain dial, maybe cut the others.

One piece of advice I received about buying my first Orange was "When you first play it, it will sound really thin, but when you put it in the mix, it's going to sound great". That still applies here, as you can't just think about the guitar alone. You've gotta think about the way the bass and any other instruments are going to compliment it.

Latest posts

Back