Does a cab make a difference

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitardude05

Reaction score
i am using my mark iv combo for recording. i was just wondering if using a closed back cab like a recto 2x12 would make a significant difference in my recordings? or does it not matter much other than the fact it would be a c90 vs v30s?

i usually use an sm57 and an akg condenser. im trying to decide if i should to buy a cab or if i should go for a new guitar. thanks.

a closed back cab sounds a lot warmer and has tighter lows, in general. I sealed the top 1/2 of my 2x12, sounds a lot better now IMO. of course what sounds better is subjective, but there is definitely a big difference in the sound. even using the same speakers

well warmer and tighter bass sounds a lot better for modern rock! now that you mention that, most of the time the mark iv sounds a bit brittle and loose, live and recorded. but that could just be the nature of the c90. do you think it would be worthwhile to get a closed 2x12 with some v30s? i admit ive never had a cab with the mark iv :oops:

choosing a cabinet, is no different than choosing a guitar.

you try one out, and if you don't like it, you try another one.

no one can tell you "Which" cabinet is better.

best way to shortcut the decision, is to start with your favorite recording artist, and ask the question 'what gear does he/she use, and is this sound close to what i'm looking for'

but the best way to make a decision, is always from your own experience.

M4's are typically bright and v30's are also. together it was too much high-end, at least on my rig. that said, I think the old boogie 2x12's, like mine, might have less lows than most cabs. my marshall 4x12 sounds a lot deeper. so, maybe with a 4x12 the v30's might work better. also, to complicate matters, the v30's I had were actually hellatone's (avatar's oem).

try your amp through as many cabs as possible

Back