Straight or Slant cab for recording?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Magic Hoof

Reaction score
The only thing that I can think of as far as a difference when recording with a straight/slant cab is mic placement. I'm thinking the mic placement would be just a bit different due to the way the speakers are pointing in a slant cab.

If there was a choice, would a straight or slant cab be preferred, and why?

You can make either one work just fine. The biggest difference is when you're also using a room mic for an ambient guitar layer. The slants tend to provide a more even spread of sound throughout the space they are in, and that makes it easier to find a 'sweet spot' for the room mic.

for recording way I prefer Straight.IMO when you are recording with an ambient mic is more easy to find a good place to put the mic and find the sound

I tend to use my straight 1960b cab for recording more that my 1960a slant cab. I get better bass response from the straight. If I'm going to record a second guitar part, I might use the slant just to add some depth/dimension to the overall mix.

I've been told that the majority of the time the best sound comes from one of the bottom speakers. And yes... each speaker has a slightly different sound to it. So in that theory, a straight cab should be better.

Latest posts

Back