Anyone else using IRs (impulse responses) instead of micing?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MusicManJP6

Reaction score
I just started messing with impulses and they really do sound amazing! I found a ton of good ones over at the guitarampmodeling.com forums. This is really an awesome way to get killer tone fast! They allow you to use your Mesa's slave out and record direct to your PC! It works with any preamp input - even a modeler like a POD or BOSS GT-8 (just turn off the cab and mic sims on the unit). All you have to do is insert a VST plugin like keFIR (it's a free convolution plugin) as an effect after your signal in your DAW, load an impulse file, set your mix to 100%, and prepare to be blown away! Most of the ones i've found sound better than any attempt i've made at micing a cab on my own. And you can experiment with different mics and cabs in seconds.... just by loading up a different impulse file!

If you have no idea what i'm talking about then check out the stickied threads at the top of this forum link:

http://guitarampmodeling.com/viewforum.php?f=32&sid=8fdf9a3185c04e001c3465f42ee1cb52

I'll be messing with recording using impulses some more tonight. I'm going to bypass the loop on my Stiletto for the first time ever! :twisted:

read your post yesterday and started experimenting! I think they sound way more real than the recording outputs of my Studio pre. I posted a clip in Rigs&Tones if you're interested.

i use some impulses from the testversion of www.recabi.net
just download the test version and you´ll get a mesa 4x12 with sm57 mic in a few positions and with different powertubes (6L6 and EL34).
the files are called "ghandi", as well there is a 2x12 fender, as i remember right.

just check it out.

Hey I was hoping to start recording w/ Impulse responses.
Does anyone have or know where I could get some quality IRs for free?
Thanks.

Dave

http://www.guitarampmodeling.com - look in the cabinet impulses section

http://habib.webhost.pl/ - click on 'keFir' on the left then look under the useful links section at the bottom of the page.

Ya I had to sign up to download most of them but it was worth it. I probably have around 700 IRs now AMAZING!
Everything from Fender Vibrolux to Framus; Mesa's w/every kind of mic'ing position and type. Thanks a lot for pointing me in the right direction! :D

DaveBorn2Rock said:
Ya I had to sign up to download most of them but it was worth it. I probably have around 700 IRs now AMAZING!
Everything from Fender Vibrolux to Framus; Mesa's w/every kind of mic'ing position and type. Thanks a lot for pointing me in the right direction! :D

you bet! Now post some clips of your creations! 8)

hi folks,

here is a sample i recorded like this:
mesa studio preamp (send out)-> g-major in, g-major SPDIF out -> m-audio delta 1010LT SPDIF in -> magix samplitude 10 pro using the roomsimulator plugin and loaded the recabinet demo ghandi with a SM57 mic.

hope you´ll like it.

http://www.nefkom.net/p_weber/jw1%20sample.mp3

MusicManJP6, thanks for bringing this up. I downloaded the demo version of Recabinet and kefir, sounds amazing :D I wasn't aware of IR's at all and have been struggling with micing and getting a decent tone at lower volumes. Been using this evening with my recording out on the Mk IV into Reaper....NICE! One thing I'm having trouble with though is noise. As soon as I load Kefir up with an IR I get a really awful digital-ish buzzing. Any idea what could be causing that?

MusicManJP6 said:
DaveBorn2Rock said:

you bet! Now post some clips of your creations! 8)

Hey sorry about the long delay. I finally have one clip done with some impulse responses. I used some of the Guitar Hacks impulses. Double tracked 1 per side with a lame improvised solo line in the center.
Oh ya and this was done with my peavey ultra 112 (on the ultra channel) which I am absolutely loving.

http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?section=user&value=DaveBorn2Rock

Let me know what you think.

Does it have to be a preamp out? Or will these also work with post power amp line outs (such as inserting a DI box between the amp and cabinet)?

screamingdaisy said:
Does it have to be a preamp out? Or will these also work with post power amp line outs (such as inserting a DI box between the amp and cabinet)?

It will work just fine with post power amp outs, but if a tube power amp was used when your chosen impulse was created then you will get a slight coloration of tone. If a SS power amp was used then there is no coloration of course.

DaveBorn2Rock: I will check out your clips tonight!

I use something similar to Impulses. I use a speacial feature on my cab that has XLR outputs for recording. It retains the sound of the cab mic'ed with an SM57, and sounds really good.

I just tried the www.recabi.net impulse demo for the first time last night and I was very, very impressed. I really thought it captured the tone of my amp with my cab perfectly. I am using the Mark IV record out into a DI box which I then run into a Presonus Tube Pre into a MOTU 8 pre.

I just downloaded a bunch more impulses which I can't wait to try out. If you havn't tried using IR's I would recommend giving it a try. Its great for those of us who can't crank our amps to record or live in apartments. Im going to buy the full version of the Recab IRs, it was just what I was looking for. I will try to post some sound clips this weekend.

I tried to use IRs, but it seems like the only cable I have that reaches my computer is not shielded well enough, because I get a ton of buzz that seems to come from my laptop. Could also be noise in the preamp. The buzzing isn't there when I use a mic though.

ketiov said:
I tried to use IRs, but it seems like the only cable I have that reaches my computer is not shielded well enough, because I get a ton of buzz that seems to come from my laptop. Could also be noise in the preamp. The buzzing isn't there when I use a mic though.
seems more like a grounding issue between your laptop and your amp/preamp.
this could be solved by using a DI box or try the same wallplug for the laptop power supply and your amp.

btw.
take a look at this thread, my band has a recording session going on for our 1st CD. let me know what you guys think.
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=35163

A DI box with a ground lift should fix your problem, I had the same issues with my mark iv before I got the DI box

Impulses used for all guitars

http://www.myspace.com/michaelreillymusic
Cool summer breeze

Back