Looking for nice studio monitors

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitrobattery

Reaction score
I'm looking for some nice monitors in the $500 range. I was planning on getting a pair of Event TR8's...but I see they're discontinued. Any suggestions?

$500 total or apiece?

I've been extremely pleased with my Dynaudio BM5A's. I A/B'd them with the TR-8s when I bought them, and while the Dynaudios had less bass than the Events, the Dynaoudios seemed less fatiguing and neutral.

hey man I got the Dynaudio Bm5a's and I have to say I'm really happy with them.. in saying that, I worked at a studio called harmonie park in Detroit and they used JBL LSR 4328P monitors with the room correction thing, and it sounded stellar. Its only about 500 more, I'd go with the JBL's. All the monitors mentioned are good quality, so I'd say listen to all of them with a familiar cd and pick the one that you feel is most accurate.

+1 for the JBL - marvellous monitors.

or else go for the Mackie HR824 - a classic.

While u guys are at it, does anyone have any experience with Genelecs? There's so much talk about it being industry standard so what is it exactly that makes it a popular choice.

fpoon said:
Heard good things with the KRK's.

I have some KRK rokit 5's.... sound great for me at home and were a bargain for the quality and neutral sound IMO.

Get some good headphones too though. I find it helps my ears from tiring if I put on my AKG's for a different bit of perspective. Think of this as an important part of your investment.

But... my favourite tester is how my mixes sound through my home cinema setup. :twisted:

ak47 said:
fpoon said:
Heard good things with the KRK's.

I have some KRK rokit 5's.... sound great for me at home and were a bargain for the quality and neutral sound IMO.
:twisted:

Have been using the rokit 5's for some time now. Although it handles the low end well, I find it to be somewhat a little exaggerated. But yes, for that amount of money paid for, its good value.

Genelecs. They sound wonderful and minimalize ear fatigue. Expensive, but worth every dime. Very difficult to beat without spending ridiculous money.

I'm also looking for studio monitors and while it's good that they would sound nice, I want something that will not colour the sound, app. 500 is my price range as well. I find when I look up reviews, they all talk about how silky the treble is or how good the bass response is, what I really want to know is how well these monitors translate to stereo systems.

I've been told that the KRK Rokkit 6's are the best and have a more balanced Lowend companred the the 5's and the 8's. If you want more low end then get the KRK Sub. It doesnt makes sense to push your monitors too hard for bass...

I'm upgrading my little home studio and I think it's time to upgrade from the Rokit 8's. They're perfectly fine, but I'm going to jump into the next price range. If anyone wants them shoot me a PM.

just picked up some rokit 5's yesterday. If youre just starting out I think its the perect set! So far Im rather impressed.

The Yamaha HS80m's are great, IMO. I've been using them for a couple years now, and my mixes have translated well (to my ears). For the price, they're real nice IMO.

dmt said:
I've been told that the KRK Rokkit 6's are the best and have a more balanced Lowend companred the the 5's and the 8's. If you want more low end then get the KRK Sub. It doesnt makes sense to push your monitors too hard for bass...
I've been using the Rokit 6's for several years, and they are great. Not perfect, but great.
If I chose to upgrade the ADAM Audio A7 would be on the list.

Back