MIDI: Improving the quality of playback?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

visualrocker69

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know how to improve the quality of MIDI playback? Is this dependent solely on your soundcard or can it be improved with different software, drivers, etc?

Thanks!

Well if you haven't tried already, check out ASIO4ALL, it's a great ASIO driver that does softsynth pretty sweet. I'm not sure if that's what your looking for, but I hope it helps!.

What I'm looking for is something to replace General MIDI in Guitar Pro and other midi sequencers where I do my composing. On my old desktop, the integrated Creative Soundblaster Live had better MIDI playback than the default Microsoft GS Wavetable ****, but now I'm on a laptop :(

Well depending on what kind of soundcard you have, you could use sound fonts if your soundcard supports it. Other then that, I don't know how you're going to replace the General MIDI sounds Microsoft supports. There could be some program that could emulate the use of sounds fonts I suppose, but I've never looked into that.

The guys who did GP probably doesn't want anyone using any sound fonts because of their RSE for GP5 they developed which is basically.... A sound font. However, you did say you were using other programs? You can certainly get some great sounding VST instruments and use them through programs like Sibelius, Overture, Finale... etc...

Personally I write stuff in GP and export the MIDI to a program that supports VST and hear what it sounds like that way. Though that sucks as well because GP sets the volume and stuff in the MIDI and still haven't been able to change it in my other program. Ha.

Consider this a random comment.. but I've always hated most builtin midi instruments. These days, I think you're better off with loops. Maybe check out Ableton Live, I am.

You're not going to find quality midi instrument sounds from any PCs builtin sound card.

Latest posts

Back