Load box for silent output--no attenuation?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoG

Reaction score
Hi all,

My buddy has the unfortunate combination of a Roadster combo, an 18-month-old, and an apartment. I have an ADA Microcab II which can create some pretty sweet cab/speaker sims and will accept speaker level input if you also connect speakers or an appropriate load.

I'm wondering if there's something simpler (cheaper?) than the usual attenuation solutions.

All we need is a load and no output-- basically, we want to run the power amp outs that would normally go to the speakers into the ADA*, and from there into some kind of load box that will just suck up 100-150W. We don't need any audible output at all, that will be coming from the ADA.

Ideas?

Tried a THD Hotplate?

Those things are rated at 100watts (I used one successfully on my Road King running at 120watts) and they can completely take the load. I know they are about $600aus so I'm guessing they will be something like $200 over your way.

Thanks, yeah, I've seen those.

The thing is, we're don't actually need output from the device, we just want it to suck up the 100W. I was wondering if there's something cheaper that doesn't even do output-- baby also means he's on a budget...

no sound output needed? then take a lamp, a 40 - 50v bulb should work or put some smaller ones in line.

dean69 said:
no sound output needed? then take a lamp, a 40 - 50v bulb should work or put some smaller ones in line.

lol, actually that's kind of what I was thinking, but I don't know how to physically set that up.

Doesn't the roadster have a silent/mute option? Can't that be used and you take the send from the effects loop to your cab sim?

It probably would be best to have a POD or similar for playing at home.

Greg

CoG

easiest! the amps should produce at the speaker output some voltage around - please anybody correct me! - as far as i know up to 40-50 volts highest.

simply put the lightbulbs in line + (tip from speaker plug) to + from lightbulb to + next light to + ... - (from last bulb to sleeve from speaker plug)

to check the output voltage i would start with two car headlights (65w) in line (24v) if that is too less connect a third one and so on ... DON'T worry MESA amps are one of the finest and most reliable amps i have ever driven! don't shortcut for long! the amp will appreciate it ;-)

let the light be with you!

Latest posts

Back