Sure sm57 vs SHS om-450

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathan28

Reaction score
Hey guys I ran across a SHS OM-450 mic, it is a Shure Sm-57 clone, there is a retailer here in WV selling them for $50.00. He told me he miced his cab with the sm-57 and then miced with the SHS and he could not tell a difference. I held both of them and they look and feel pretty much exactly the same. Does anyone know anything about this SHS mic?
Here is a link for it:

http://www.thepickinparlor.com/SHS_OM_450_p/om450.htm

Some of the cheap Chinese rip off mics sound pretty decent but they are still just that - cheap. An SM57 will last forever with reasonable care (and will endure abuse too). Go back to the dealer and ask him if you can pound both mics on the floor and then test them. The 57 will still work, Chinese mic? As far as "can't tell the difference", under what conditions? Try listening back with quality headphones, listen for noise, grainy sound, proximity effect (more bass as the mic gets closer), detail etc. I have A-B'd quite a few mics looking for stuf I wanted to buy and keep. Some of the Chinese made condensors in the $200 and up range are acceptable to very nice. In your category, I would buy the Shure, hands down. It isn't that much more money for a Mesa owner. You aren't going to buy a "sounds just as good" Chinese Mesa clone guitar amp are you? :D :D :D

ah so what.

try them - your ears tell the truth, if this "not american made" products sound good so what the hack? get them cheaper and spend the rest for a new mesa.

a lot of brand products are build in china these days and all consumer can profit from the low production prices. if the american economy sucks don't blame others for that. the chinese own nearly a half of your debts already anyhow ;-)

try the johnson carolina guitars e.g. - jd 17 or jd 27 - i bet martin still wonders how to build a dreadnaught for that price. go here for instance

http://www.themusiclink.net/Greg_Rich.960.0.html

enjoy good quality for reasonable prices!
so long
JP

Ok guys i recently purchase the sm-57 and a few of the shs-om450 clones.
I paid 99.99 for the shure with no mic cable, i paid 40.00 for the shs and it comes with the mic cable. I compared them side by side with electric guitars and vocals. They are close but the sure sm-57 does indeed sound fuller and better. Like I said they are close, the shs is probably a better buy because you can get two for the price of one shure plus get two mic cables.
just wanted to post the info!!!

Latest posts

Back