Firewire support?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

visualrocker69

Reaction score
Hi, I have a Dell notebook which has no firewire port, but the audio interface i'm looking at is for firewire. Since I really want that interface and I WILL be getting a PC with firewire next summer anyway, is there any external firewire support thingy I can use to make the interface compatible with my laptop?
THanks

Just a heads up, firewire was designed for Macs, and lots of PC's and Laptops (that aren't macs) seem to have real problems with their firewire systems, most the cases I've seen just have to have the drivers erased and updated ones installed new (most won't just upgrade correctly for some reason). If you can, go for something with a PCI card when you get your PC, that way it is connected directly to your system and not eating off other resorces (like firewire and usb do).

i do tech support for dell for a living, and depending on your model notebook it could be a great investment to get a firewire expansion card, or a total waste. depends on your cpu/hard drive/ram/OS, if the rest isnt up to par then no sense in buying the toys.

overall desktops are better setup for high performance needs like recording. stay away fom vista for now, its a very heavy OS that has many issues.

good luck.

Alright, but I already have Vista. Doesn't seem to have any issues, in fact, it works way more efficiently than XP. It can handle graphics/effects independently from application processing. Also, it seems like one thing doesn't depend on another. When one program becomes unresponsive, it never affects the stability of others, especially Windows Explorer. This was very frustrating in XP, however.

Anyway, my laptop is pretty mediocre. Turion 64 X2 TL-60 (2.00 GHz per core). RAM is 2 gigs. HD capacity is 100 gigs. I'm still determined to add firewire compatibility. Any ideas?

Visual, I have a Gateway laptop that I use with a Presonus Firepod. I use a cardbus IEEE-1394 2 port firewire adapter. My computer has a 4 pin port but not 6. This has worked flawlessly recording 8 tracks at the same time. The cards are about $30. I also will run NI guitar rig 2 through this with no audible latency. This has been so much nicer than my USB setup with the Omega Lexicon. My computer is close to yours in speed and capacity, but yours is newer and I'm still using XP. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back