Recording questions...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maldeve

Reaction score
Ok, Im totally new to recording and need some advice on what I need to get a decent recorded guitar sound.

Im still waiting on my Mark IV to arrive, hopefully its only a couple more weeks out. I want to start gathering the tools i need to record now so I can make some decent recordings when I get it.

Right now my setup would only be this ....

Mark IV B medium head

4x12 Stiletto Cab

Shure SM57 mic x2 with stands

N-Track studio (computer program)

Audigy 2 platnium ZS sound card

What else other then these items do I need or could use to help have a decent recorded guitar sound.

Also with just these items how would I set it up?

Guitar>MarkIV>SM57's>soundcard>running N-track?

Basically the Micrphones would plug directly into the sound card?

Or am I missing a component between the mic's and my computer that would help?

Thank you in advance for any helpful replies!

Hey, If you got the money, get a sennheiser md421, you'll want somethign to fill in that empty bass/ compliment the sm 57, also, you might want a firebox from presonus , it has two mic preamps and it's firewire. better then a sound card, plus it'll power the md421 mic

Maldeve said:
Basically the Micrphones would plug directly into the sound card?

Or am I missing a component between the mic's and my computer that would help?

Thank you in advance for any helpful replies!

You'll need some sort of preamp.

If what I read about your soundcard is right, you could buy a xlr (what's on the sm57) to 1/4" transformer and a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter at Radio Shack (or somewhere like that) and plug directly into the mic/line in on the SB.

However, it won't sound too good and you won't really have any way to control the level going into the SB. In other words, Sound Blasters weren't really made to handle screaming guitar amps. The key to good digital recordings is to not drive the input over "0".

An inexpensive stereo preamp like a M-Audio Audio Buddy ($59.95), or even something USB to bypass the Audigy entirely, like the Lexicon Lambda ($150), would be what you needed to get a decent sound into your pc. The Lambda would be my choice so you could use the Audigy for what it does best, gaming. It also provides phantom power for condenser mics.

hey welcome to the recording world!

so far so good but you need some interface (like guitarport o.s.) to change the sound of your mic's from analog to digital to record it on your hard drive

this will go directly to the recording or sequencer software via usb. the soundcard is quite old (have the same) suggest to go for a newer one with higher resolution. but its nice to have a synthesizer for drums and other sounds already integrated. check it with your software.

you also will like a small mixer 6-4-2 monitor mixer(behringer, tapco, mackie, yamaha). very useful to monitor the sound you are recording. you have to level the volume and maybe want to add some effects / eq already while recording. very useful also to play back sounds and to phantom power condensor mic's

go for some flat reproducing nearfield monitors. they will give you the best impression for the later sound of your mixed recordings (mackie, yamaha, jbl, esi, m-audio etc.)

for the mic's i suggest not to go for the "cause everybody uses them" sure sm 57/58. go for some mics with a wide recording spec (20 - 20000 HZ) at least two (to combine direct and room mixes e.g.) the akg or sennheiser condensor mics are very good for the purpose. the sure's are good for life and limited in the spec and the kidney character.

so far for my two cents ...

What exactly does the GuitarPort do? My friend has a TonePort...does it do the same thing? Why do you need this item and is there a cheaper way to accomplish the purpose of the GuitarPort?

Also, while I'm here...you seem to know about recording...I'm clueless. I'm buying a Behringer 8-input mixer to record drums. How would I connect the mixer to my computer? On the mixer would it have only one output and 8 inputs?

Edit: Nvm I'd need a larger mixing system. Wither way, how does this work.

Maybe try one the Firewire mixers. They work like regular mixers but send each input to your PC via Firewire. Won't need additional mic pre's (unless you want better ones) or a separate interface.

Type the following in the MF search box: Alesis MultiMix 12 FireWire 12-Channel Analog Mixer

Ok new approach...will this work?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-Drum-Mic-Package?sku=270263

Into:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-Xenyx-1222FX?sku=631270

Into:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/iKey-Analog-to-Digital-Real-Time-Converter?sku=807028

Into:

PC

Will that work to record drums?

Also, Ned, thank you for the advice whether it was directed at me or the threadstarter butI personally am looking to go cheaply on this. I'm not not in need of any professional-quality recordings, just as long as theyre better than the single-mic TonePort recordings I have now.

"Nick_cor wrote:
... plus it'll power the md421 mic

You don't need phantom power with dynamic mics like the 421."

The MD 421 is a condensor Microphone. It needs phantom power. I rented one for a bit. Never got a good guitar tone with it (or at least one that suited my playing). Awsome Tom Mic though. Got Some good vocals off it.

Sm57 sounds great on guitar. I use one sm57 to mic my mark 3 an can get some pretty awsome sounds. Heavy Fuzzy goodness. If your feeling slightly more ambitious you can tape two sm57s together. Assuming you close micing your cab one will sound a bit darker. Can blend them and get lovley sounds, and it generally sounds more full....since they are taped together they are all close and tight and best friends forever resulting in no phasing.

"also, you might want a firebox from presonus , it has two mic preamps and it's firewire. better then a sound card, plus it'll power the md421 mic"

I agree. I record guitar with an sm57 into my firepod. The pre-amps are decent, you can definetly get some good sounds, it's simple easy to use, saves a lot of hassle.

fuzzypuke said:
"Nick_cor wrote:
... plus it'll power the md421 mic

You don't need phantom power with dynamic mics like the 421."

The MD 421 is a condensor Microphone. It needs phantom power. I rented one for a bit. Never got a good guitar tone with it (or at least one that suited my playing). Awsome Tom Mic though. Got Some good vocals off it.

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/productdetail.asp?transid=000984

Sorry, I don't know what you rented, but a MD421 isn't a condenser mic.

Sorry, I don't know what you rented, but a MD421 isn't a condenser mic.[/quote]

sorry you are right. It was late at night my head was not on straight. I nod my head to you good sir.

Back